Saturday, October 16, 2021

A Study in Grief - Halloween Idea-ology

A Study in Grief was made for the Tim Holtz Halloween Idea-ology 2021 release. It was made in August which is when I often relive or think about grief as it is the month when my sister died. This year it was a particularly difficult month because we were also grieving over four family members who died. So as we often do, I poured some of that into my art.
I explain much of my process and details in this youtube video.
I started by painting the base and edges of a Vignette Shrine with the Blackk Soot Distress Paint. Then I covered the back with the Backdrop paper that is a remembrance card. Attach it with Distress Collage Medium and work out any air pockets.
Next, cover the outside and inside side panels with Worn Wallpaper Scraps, as well as the back inside panel.
 
 Adhere one of the Vignette Accents over the peak of the shrine roof. Then attach the The Silence clipping from the Curiosities Sticker Book.
 
Next attach the Remembrance card found in the Halloween Layers pack to a Vignette Panel or a few layers of chipboard to make it stick out away from the back of the shrine. Attach some dimensional adhesive to the back of a Halloween Paper Doll and attach in the middle of the card. Then choose some clippings from the Curiosities Halloween Sticker Book to tell your story.
 
 Now you want to gather some things that symbolize grieving to you. I stuck with things mostly from this release because they told the story I was telling.
I tool one of the Urns and painted it black with Black Soot Distress Paint. Then put a tiny bit of Tarnished Brass Distress Paint onto my finger and ran it along the raised details of the urn. I did the same thing to two Candle Stands.
The flowers were the Idea-ology Bouquet that I colored with Empty Tomb Mica Stain. I also sprayed some Black Kraftstock paper with the Empty Tomb Mica Stain before cutting the "greenery" out using the Funky Nature dies.
I attached the Drippy Candles to the candle stands and the bottom of the shrine.Then Put the "greenery" die cuts and the Bouquet flowers around the Candle Stands and in the urn.

I spent a little time painting the oval Gothic Frame with Black Soot Distress Paint. Especially the ribbon at the top because this piece was based on Victorian Mourning Customs and black ribbons or drapings were common during mourning.

The floral piece is part of an undertaker ad card in the Halloween Ephemera Pack. And the braided lock of hair is from a Dollar Tree Barbie Doll.
Although this piece is meaningful to me, I really kept it fairly simple. This would be a simple one to make for someone just starting off with Idea-ology and you could make changes that fit your creative style.

Thank you so very much for stopping by and for your support. I always mean that from the bottom of my heart!
 Now let's keep creating!

Tami

I am an affiliate with Simon Says Stamp and Scrapbook.com so the links below send you to one of those stores depending on which logo you choose.  If you wish to purchase something from either store and use one of my links below, I get a small percentage of your order, at no additional cost to you. This helps me to defray the costs of this blog, the time, the ideas and tutorials I post here. Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you

1 comment:

sarascloset said...

Wonderful details on your spooky shrine, Tami! I love how you've made those urns look like aged brass. Stunning work!