Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Disneyland Railroad - E.P. Ripley

Yep, it's that time of the month again, time for the Graphic 45 page contest. This month we were to use papers from their Transatlantique paper line.

I had planned to use some pictures of us on the LA Steamers trains that go around Walt's Barn in Griffith Park but when I pulled them with the G45 paper I had stored them with, I realized that I had planned to use them with a different G45 line, so I had to find some other train pics with DH in them.

These are pictures from October 2008 when DH got tender passes for us to ride behind the engineers on the Disneyland Railroad. We got to ride on the E.P.Ripley engine. They answered all of DH's train and steam engine questions and showed him all about running the train. It was something we had never imagined we would get to do, so he was pretty thrilled about it. It was definitely a memorable trip.

I used all paper from Graphic 45's Transatlantique line and included a few metal items from the Tim Holtz Ideaology line. I included a few punched Mickeys and called it good.

It isn't what I had planned originally, but I'm so glad to have these scrapped and DH really likes the masculine feel it has. Can you believe I did a layout with no flowers?

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Toy Story and the Hundred Acre Wood

Two years ago we won tickets to preview the new Toy Story Mania ride at Disney's California Adventure Park two days before it opened to the public. We got there early and got to ride it several times in a row. What a fun ride and it's really interactive.

This layout was made using Scrap Within Reach "Carnival Ride" paper line and stickers. This layout was made using a sketch from Sketch Savvy.

I thought it was perfect because there are pennants hanging all around inside the ride.

I'm really struggling to accept the "white space" on this layout. I like a little more on my layouts and this just seems a little bland, but I am trying not to make it too busy.

The CM doing the bunny ears behind me actually remembered us when we went back that weekend to ride it again with my family.

This layout was about a day that a bunch of fellow Disney scrappers decided to go to Disneyland. Some of the girls took their kiddos with them. It was the first time at DLR for one of the little guys and since most of us were totally clueless about taking kids to DLR, we took him on Pirates of the Caribbean and it totally terrorized him. So, in order to make up for it, we took him to Critter Country to hand out with Pooh and the Gang.

For this layout I also used a sketch from Sketch Savvy. I used this sketch for the layout.

I absolutely love the tree!!

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Wine Bottle Covers

I went to a crop recently at my LSS that had some Make n Takes. One of them was a wine bottle cover. It was a simple project, but included some stamping and embossing techniques. I thought it was a great idea, but wanted to change it up a bit.

For my bottle covers, I cut Tim Holtz Grungeboard into strips, squares and then die cut one piece using one of his Alterations die cuts. Then I used a Quickutz embossing folder to emboss all the grungeboard pieces. Once they were all embossed, I painted them with Distress Paint Dabbers, let the paint dry, and then sanded the raised areas. Once the raised areas were sanded, I inked the entire surface with Distress Ink, and wiped off the ink from the painted areas. The paint acts as a resist for the ink, allowing the embossed areas to show through, but not color the painted areas too much.

Then I stamped a circle and an initial onto some QuicKutz Adhesive Cork. Two kinds come in a package, so the one on the left contains larger, more irregular pieces of cork, and the one of the right has smaller, corkboard type pieces. I wanted this to resemble the top of a wine cork (even though most of them have a date on them.)

And for the top, I took four pieces of jute and dyed them using Ranger Color Wash in colors that matched the paint I used. The colors here are Lettuce, Eggplant, Wild Plum and Butterscotch. Once they dried, I tied them around the tops of the wine bottles.

Lastly I punched small holes in the edges of the decorative piece, and the strip of grungeboard and attached them with a brad. In order to get the piece to fit around a bottle, I punched a hole in each side piece and tied them together with a small piece of jute.

This was a fun, easy project that will make a great gift for someone.

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Woo hoo! I won! Twice!!

In April I entered a layout contest for my LSS, Remember When. They challenged us to make a layout using My Mind's Eye Abbey Road line of paper and embellishments. I just found out that I won! This is the great MME paper and embellishment pack that I won.

I made the two layouts below. What fun! I may make some layouts with the paper I won, to share on my kit blog!

And just a few weeks ago I entered the Graphic 45 Renaissance Faire May Madness contest. For this contest you could make any paper crafting project, you just had to use the papers and things from their Renaissance Faire line.

I made this layout and won! They sent me a complete set of each of the lines above! Transatlantique, Renaissance Faire, Le Romantique, A Proper Gentleman, and On the Boardwalk.