Thursday, July 30, 2020

Pinecone Corn - Festive Trims Sizzix Chapter 3 2020

Last fall just before Thanksgiving, I made a home decor piece with the Tim Holtz Sizzix Chapter 4 Christmas die set called Deck the Halls. It had some Pinecones and greenery in the set, but when I got it to make samples, I didn't have any artwork with it, so I was trying to decide what it was supposed to be by just looking at the dies and decided it was corn. Well, later, when I got the artwork and realized it was a pinecone, I had a good laugh , but already had corn in my head so I had to make that project.
You can see Gather Together here.
So of course, when I saw that Tim Holtz and Sizzix had released a larger version for the 2020 Chapter 3 Christmas dies, called Festive Trims, I had to make some bigger corn.
These place setting cards or menu cards are very simple to make. It is just a piece of Watercolor Cardstock or white heavy cardstock folded in half. Then I used some Distress Woodgrain Cardstock that I had on hand to cut the deco frames. The Deco Frames die is a Bigz steel rule die, so I also cut one out of chipboard to add dimension.

You could also make your own woodgrain by following this tutorial using the Woodgrain 3D folder.
To make the corn from the Pinecone die in Festive Trims, you basically just need to color all the parts as shown in the photo above. I cut the pieces from Distress Mixed Media Heavystock and then colored the greenery and the piece that looks like a canoe with Scattered Straw and Fossilized Amber. I colored the base of the pinecone the same way, but added some Wild Honey. Then I colored the criss-cross piece with Wild Honey, Fired Brick and Aged Mahoghany. I put some on my craft mat and then just picked the color up with my water brush and tapped it on in little blots until it was all colored. Once all the parts are colored, then edge with a bit of Walnut Stain and assemble.

Then using any alphabet, put the menu items or people's names into the center of the frame.

You can do the same thing for Christmas, Hannukah, or even just a winter cocoa night depending on the color scheme you use when making the actual pine cones.

I hope this encourages you to look at your die cuts a little differently and see if there are other occasions where they will work.

I'm thankful you chose to visit today!
Tami

I am an affiliate with Simon Says Stamp and Scrapbook.com so the links below send you to one of those stores depending on which logo you choose. If you wish to purchase something from either store and use one of my links below, I get a small percentage of your order, at no additional cost to you. This helps me to defray the costs of this blog, the time, the ideas and tutorials I post here. Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

1 comment:

scrappergirl56 said...

Your story is too funny...but once we get something into our heads...LOL...I thought the Pinecones made perfectly good Indian Corn...that is what my Grandma always called the muti-colored corn with all the red and dark red colors...she would have bunches hanging around the dining room at harvest/Thanksgiving time...