Thursday, July 9, 2020

Pieces of Eight - Part 2 Sizzix Chapter 3 Skelly

Now that we have learned how to make a pile of Pieces of Eight treasure, today I want to focus on putting the rest of this piratey vignette together using a classic retired die, and two new Chapter 3 dies from Tim Holtz and Sizzix.
Begin by covering a large Idea-ology Vignette Box. I used paper from the Abandoned paper pack. Cut pieces to fit the back and sides. Then brush a nice thin layer of Distress Collage Medium over one side at a time. Adhere the paper, then press in down evenly and push out any air bubbles. Do this to all four sides and the back. once it is dry, I lightly sand all the edges and then ink them with a dark brown Distress Ink.
Do the same thing to the inside of the box, but this time I chose the black and orange paper from the Abandoned pack. Once it is dry, I drilled a small hole in the bottom back of the box near the right side. Thread all of the Idea-ology Tiny lights through the hole. Leave the battery pack on the back of the box.
I make these holders for the Tiny Lights battery packs. They make it easy to turn the lights off and on and to pull the whole battery pack out when it is necessary to change the battery. I made a tutorial on just how to make the Tiny Lights Paper Holder here.
Using an old, but classic Tim Holtz Alterations die called Candlelight, I cut and assembled both candles. Then I stuck them together and lined the back with a piece of heavy cardstock to give them stability as one piece.
I used my Tonic scissors to cut a piece of Little Sizzles Mat Board (white chipboard) so that it would fit perfectly behind the candles. Then I wrapped the tiny lights around the mat board piece.
This piece is going to be adhered to the back of the candles and then the back of the Vignette Box. Attach some foam adhesive squares to both sides.
I always assume that some of the adhesive will quit sticking, so I add drops of Collage Medium to the foam squares.
Here you can see the back side of the lights that will attach to the back of the Vignette Box. This next little step is optional. I did it because I wanted the light to shine through and up from the candles, but not out the sides. If you want both, then skip this step.
I trimmed two pieces of black chipboard about 3/8 of an inch wide and long enough to fit on the sides of the candles. Adhere the chipboard to the sides of the lights.
Here you can see how I added Collage Medium to the black chipboard and the foam squares on the back of the lights. Then hold the lights in place until they stay adhered to the back of the box.
To layer the pieces of eight, I used some retired Bingo chips for thickness. It allows you to lay the coins on an angle so that you can pile them up without having to make hundreds.
Here you can see how the coins are at different angles. See how there is a piece of a bingo chip stuck on a coin? It will give one coin a great angle that will look like there are more coins than there really are.
Once the coins are piled up pretty well, it is time for Skelly! I put a whole Bingo chip on the back of the top of his head for some dimension.
To make Skelly, what I did first was to pull from my stash, or make several neutral colors of cream and brown Distress Mixed Media Heavystock. You can see the bottom two here were used to cut some of the pieces including the teeth.
I wanted to point out, that once I had the pieces I wanted, I used the Craze stamp from Tim Holtz and Stampers Anonymous, and I stamped it on several of the pieces to give Skelly kind of an old, cracked skull look.
See? I love that little detail! Now, once you have all of the pieces cut for Skelly, you will want to line them up and watch the video below to get him together.


Attach Skelly to the back of the box on an angle so his chin is near the front edge of the box.
Cut about 5 of the spiders from the Spider Web die. Then with scissors, trim the web off the back legs of each one. Spray the spiders with Distress Resist Spray to make them shiny.
When they are dry, use something (I used my finger nails) to bend the legs so that the spiders are kind of 3D. Attach them on Skelly and the coins.
Cut one of the cobwebs from some dusty color paper. Then trim it so that it fits into two of the corners of the Vignette box. I put them in the top left and bottom right.
The last thing to do is to cut four 1/4" strips of the paper used on the sides and back of the box. Adhere these to the front, unfinished edges of the each of the sides. This gives is a finished look.
Finally, you have a glowing box of pirate treasure.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for stopping by. I hope you found something to inspire a treasure of your own.
Tami

I am an affiliate with Simon Says Stamp and Scrapbook.com so the links below send you to one of those stores depending on which logo you choose.  If you wish to purchase something from either store and use one of my links below, I get a small percentage of your order, at no additional cost to youThis helps me to defray the costs of this blog, the time, the ideas and tutorials I post here. Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

2 comments:

scrappergirl56 said...

What a great idea to block the sides of the lights so that they shine upwards only...love this project...

Unknown said...

I really liked this project when Tim had the Release FB Live!! Thank you for sharing how you made it. :) You really provide us with some awesome inspiration!!