Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Candy Casket - Halloween Idea-ology

 

Hello! Today's post is about CANDY! One of my favorite topics. I seriously cannot get over how stinking cute the little Candy Corn Confections are from Tim Holtz Idea-ology. So I was inspired to make an over the top Halloween candy shop. Right away I want to let you know that I purchased several packages of the Confections, the Candy Corn and the Bubbles so that I would be able to have a lot of candy in this make. So I just wanted you to know that right of the bat so there is no confusion if you have one package and your make doesn't look as full as mine.

I did light this up because of my back storhy on this piece. I imagined that a cool, hip young couple saw an old casket company for sale, so they bought it and restored it to be a candy store. Since there were old caskets still in the place, they turned some of them into candy displays like this one. So they added modern elements (like purple lights) to add a modern flair to their store. The story made it a fun project to work on.

Here is the link to a video tutorial I made as I was working on this project. I hope you enjoy it!

Here is how I added the lights...
As you can see, I drilled one hole in the far back corner of the top of the Shrine, then rolled the lights together and adhered them to the top of the box on the back of a piece of Pinked Etcetera Trim and a Baseboard Word Strip..
Here is all is lit from the top.

 
The sign was made by coloring the Black Two-toned Woodgrain paper from Tim Holtz and Ranger Ink with Walnut Stain Distress Oxide. I cut the shape of the sign from the new Sizzix Postale. Then I used the Theory Alphanumeric dies to cut the name of the shop. I backed the piece with a second piece of the black woodgrain that was colored with Picket Fence Distress Stain.

The first shelf has Confections, Jack-o-lantern and a baseboard.

I colored the confections with a Spiced Marmalade and Mustard Seed Distress Crayon and a Water Brush.
I also colored the basedboard pieces with the same Distress Crayons.

 

The second shelf has "sugared" Bubbles spilling from a Cauldron.

To color the Bubbles, Add some drops of alcohol ink to a small plastic container. Drop the Bubbles into the container and swirl them around until they are covered. Let dry on a piece of paper, a paper plate, a piece of freezer paper....

When they are dry, then put some Glossy Accents on your thumb and pointer finger, and roll a bubble in the Glossy Accents on your fingers until it is completely covered. Then drop it into a small container with Distress Rock Candy Glitter. Swirl the glitter container until the Bubble is covered with glitter. Leave it in there and continue with several more Bubbles. Leave them in the glitter for 10-15 minutes until they dry. Then continue until all the Bubbles you colored are glittered.

The bottom shelf is covered with that delightful Candy Corn Confections.
 In the tutorial video I show how I make this Barrel appear to be full of Candy Corn when it really isn't. You don't want to waste any of it!
I think I used two and a half packages of Candy Corn Confections in this make. I just love it and bough multiple packages as soon as they were available.  Also I forgot to add that before I added anything to the shelves, I attached some of the new Crepe Fringe along the back of the shelf to fill in a little of the space. 
 On the back of the shrine I scrapedtwo lines to make it look like planks. Then added some Tack Nails to the top, middle and bottom of the piece so it looks like an old casket.
 
 At the bottom of the back, I stamped Casket Co from the Rest in Peace stamp set. I stamped it in Picket Fence Distress Paint. I love how it looks old and distressed and worn off.

Here is a view of the side where I added more Tack Nails.

I had so much fun making this Candy Casket and I hope you enjoyed learning about it too.

I am always thankful that you take the time to stop by my blog and support me and my art. So thank you!

Have a crafty day,

Tami

I am an affiliate with Simon Says Stamp and Scrapbook.com so the links below send you to one of those stores depending on which logo you choose.  If you wish to purchase something from either store and use one of my links below, I get a small percentage of your order, at no additional cost to youThis helps me to defray the costs of this blog, the time, the ideas and tutorials I post here. 

Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

6 comments:

ChrissyB said...

Hi Tami, I loved your Candy Casket as soon as I saw it on Tim’s video of Ideaology 2022 makes! I was SO glad you made a video of you making this make!! I saw comments disabled, but understand the comments turned off on Utube. I was most saddest when I saw your blog had “no comments”. I did not understand this at all because this is an AMAZING make!! I wanted to take the time to let you know how much your time making all your amazing makes you made for Tim and the time you spent making the video of Candy Casket means to me!!!! I love your stories of how you came to your ideas. Thank you for telling us how you colored your candy sticks. I didn’t guess distress crayons! Love love love ALL your makes!!! All of them!

Tamera said...

Thank you so very much Chrissy!! Because I do this as a hobby in my spare time, I have a hard time keeping up with comments on all the different social media sites, and YouTube was the obvious one for me. 😊 That being said I greatly appreciate your very sweet gesture to come back to my blog and leave your kind comments. That means a great deal to me! I’m so pleased that you like this make. I hope you make one for yourself to enjoy at home. Thanks again!

Makira said...

OMG, this is so AMAZING!!! I love every part of it. I am now inspired to alter your idea for a Christmas version of this. Or a Candyland (the childs' game) version. Or both??? Thank you so much for all your hard work and inspiration! It always brightens my day. Cheers, Makira

Pamela said...

I loved your Candy Casket as soon as I saw it on Tim’s Live. It makes my mouth water just looking at it. I think the bubble candy is my favorite, they really do look good enough to eat. I also appreciate the time you took with the back and the sides to make the casket look like it is made of planks nailed together. I watched your Utube video and read your blog with interest and delight. I am in awe of your talent. Keep on making.

Denise said...

Thank you so much for all of your inspirations. I am looking for the square vignette boxes. I want to add shelving to my casket and can’t find them. I don’t see a link posted here.

Tamera said...

Hi Denise,
If you click one of the store links above that you want to order from, then just search for Ideaology Vignette Boxes on the store site and they should pop up. They are widely available. Tami