Saturday, November 17, 2018

Joyful - Alcohol Ink Metallic Mixatives Meet Whimsy Decor

This summer, long before Tim Holtz introduced his new line of fantastic Metallic Kraftstock, I wanted to used the new Christmas Whimsy Decor die cuts to make a metallic Christmas card. So here is what I did.
I started by applying a single color of Alcohol Ink Metallic Mixative to one felt covered applicator. I pounced it all over a piece of Alcohol Ink Cardstock. When the Cardstock was mostly covered, I did the same thing with the next color.  I did this with (from L to R) Pearl, Gold, Copper, Gun Metal, Silver, Rose Gold)  I love how little bits of the white paper shows through.
NOTE: For this card you don't need to cut any ornament pieces from the pearl mixative paper, save it for the background, and you will need three gold and three silver to finish the card.
 
 Then I cut all the pieces of the three ornaments in Whimsy Decor from all of the colors.
Don't be intimidated by all these wonderful little pieces. I lay them all out and then glue the pieces on in order so that each ornament gets a different color. You will end up with 5 of each ornament, so you can make several cards or tags with the extras.
NOTE: For this card you need to save one set of ornament decor though for the step below.
I wanted this card to be a shaker card, so what I did is to take the pearl mixative paper, cut it out with the largest Stacked Label die, then dry emboss it with the Star Bright embossing folder.
Once that was done, I looked at where I would place two ornaments on the card and then I taped the bell shaped outer ornament on the pearl piece and cut it out.  I then backed it with a clear transparency film and attached the Decor pieces onto the window as if it was an ornament. 
Since it is a shaker, I added the foam tape to the underside of the piece for dimension and to seal the area for glitter, and then poured in a little bit of Glitter Dust before adhering it to the Gold Mixative backing 4x5 1/4, as seen below. Then I attached the entire piece to a 4 1/8x5 3/8 piece of Silver Mixative that was finally attached to a copper colored cardstock base 4.25x5.5.
 To finish it off I added a sentiment from Thin Holiday Words in metallics and cut some of the Funky Festive greenery and bow to add to the top. I did pop the copper ornament up with dimensional adhesive.

I also added a little glitter dust to the brads with some Glossy Accents just for a fun additional touch of "whimsy!"

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Love the shaker card; beautiful and metallic-y! Thanks for sharing your inspiration and easy-to-follow tutorial. I can't wait to see what you will make with the new metallic papers that were recently released! I really enjoy your posts.