Sunday, March 29, 2020

Home - Sizzix Ch 2

When I made this sample last year, I had no idea how apropos it would be. This small home decor piece uses two of the newest Chapter 2 releases from Tim Holtz and Sizzix. I love the clean, classic look of it.

To begin with, I used a Mini Framed Panel, and painted the frame and side and back of the panel black. Then when it was dry, I rubbed Picket Fence and Pumice Stone Distress Crayon onto the painted areas and spread it around , getting it into the crevices with a damp finger and damp brush when needed. This should really soften the dark paint so it doesn't overwhelm the design.
The first Chapter 2 release I used is the Funky Wreaths die. This set comes with two wreath styles: twigs and greenery. These wreaths are made to work with the other Funky Floral die sets.
I chose to use the greenery wreath and to tuck one of the leaf dies from the Funky Florals 2 set around the wreath to make it a lovely leafy green.
 For my sample piece I colored Distress Heavystock with Distress Spray Stains. But for this tutorial I just used some cardstock scraps in green. The wreath and the four branches come in the set. the light green stems are cut from one of the Funky Floral 2 dies.
 I wanted to give the leaves some dimension so I used this tool kit from Sizzix.
 You roll one of the ball pieces over the leaves and it curls them up.
 Then I matched the branches to the leaves on the wreath and adhered them
 And then attached various branches from Funky Florals thoughout the wreath. Here I only show 3 but I used more on the actual wreath, as you can see below.
You can see the wreath base and the two different Funky Floral 2 leaf types I added from this vantage point.
Behind the wreath I used the new BRICKWORK 3D Texture Fade. Oh my goodness this is a new favorite! I LOVE it and I know you will too.
 I used the watercolor paper and Distress Archival Hickory Smoke with the Brickwork 3D Texture Fade.
 One side has the "raised" mortar  and the other side it is indented. This is what you want to ink.
 I inked all of the raised mortar areas with the Hickory Smoke Archival and then ran a slightly dampened piece of Distress Watercolor paper through my Vagabond 2 three times. This should cause the indented mortar to be a grey color, but leave most of the raised brickwork white.
 It should come out looking like this, which is awesome as it is, but it gets better.
See the areas where the white brick and grey mortar look a bit dirty and aged?
I inked the now indented mortar lines with Distress Ink Pumice Stone.  Put ink on the nonstick pad and spray it with some water until it beads, then pick up the color with a water brush.
Brush it through all of the mortar lines and on top of a few of the depressed bricks. Below you can see the areas where I have done this step vs just the portion with the Hickory Smoke Archival.
Don't worry if it is watery, it is coloring it more than you think it is.
Se how it gives the white brick a very subtly aged look?
The sentiment HOME is cut using the Alphanumeric Classic uppercase alpha released in 2019 Ch 4. I cut several home letters from heavy black cardstock and stacked them and then the last set was to color some Distress Woodgrain Cardstock with Distress Inks and then add it as the top layer of the letters. This will give dimension to the sentiment. I place the letters where I though they should go but didn't adhere them until after the wreath was secured.
When I attached the wreath to the top of the frame, I placed it where I wanted, then adhered the bottom of the wreath in place. Before securing the top, I ran a piece of ribbon under and over it so that it looked as if it was hanging from the ribbon. I secured this to the top back of the frame and then adhered the top of the wreath into place. Once the wreath was in place, I went ahead and adhered the letters.

This piece is a reminder for me to focus on the simple, classic, beautiful moments and opportunities that being at home right now offers, and there are so many things to be grateful for. <3 p="">
And you taking the time to visit and support me and my blog is also something I incredibly grateful for, so thank you. It is much appreciated!
Tami

I am an affiliate with Simon Says Stamp and Scrapbook.com so the links below send you to one of those stores depending on which logo you choose.  If you wish to purchase something from either store and use one of my links below, I get a small percentage of your order, at no additional cost to youThis helps me to defray the costs of this blog, the time, the ideas and tutorials I post here. Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

1 comment:

scrappergirl56 said...

Home Sweet Home, yes agree we have to make the best of what we have...stay safe...