Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Garden Dome - Ideaology

Oh these delightful little Ideaology Display Domes are one of my favorite new items from Tim Holtz. There are so many things you can do with them.  For my Creativation Ideaology sample, I was really in a gardening mode. I blame the Field Notes Ephemera and Snippets.

In this post I'm going to talk about the elements that I put into my dome, and to do so, I have pictures without the glass dome over it so that you can see the details.
 I began the project by bending one end of a Metal Gate so that it curved lightly to the left and then bending a second Metal Gate so one end bent slightly toward the right. Bend them just enough that they meet at the top to form an arch.
 Then I put some Distress Collage Medium at the top of each gate and temporarily clipped them together until they were dry. I covered up any excess Collage Medium that you might see at the top with some moss.
 Using my finger, I rubbed some Weathered Wood Distress Paint and Picket Fence Distress Paint here and there on the gates and let it dry. Do this before you attach it to the cork.
Once the paint is dry, you can see that I adhered the gate archway onto the cork and then added some moss and some of the Field Notes Snippets flowers and butterflies to each side and the front of the archway.
Underneath the archway I wanted some sort of garden sculpture or birdbath that would fit under the arch, so I made one out of three bits of Ideaology and some Distress Grit Paste and Paint.
On the bottom of the sculpture is one of the knob from the Mini Hardware. With Distress Collage Medium, I adhered the crown from the Adornments Treasures to to head of a Salvaged Doll, then adhered the doll to the top of the Mini Hardware knob. Let this dry completely. (I left it over night as I did with the two gates as well.)
Then I used my finger to pounce some Distress Grit Paste on all three pieces. I let that dry and then painted the entire piece with Hickory Smoke. When the paint was dry I brushed on some watered down Picket Fence paint to make it look like it had oxidized over the years, and then I brushed on some watered down Walnut Stain Paint to make it look a little dirty. You can see that the paint was really watered down so that it just aged the Hickory Smoke and didn't cover it over.
To finish it off, I adhered the statue into the middle of the cork, under the arch and then added some moss. I added two more snippets to the front of the glass part of the dome, tied some jute around it and lastly I adhered the glass over the garden arch.

It has been so much fun seeing all of the creative things the designers dreamed up to go into these little domes. I'm looking forward to seeing more as they are in stores now and I know so many of you creative folks have been patiently waiting to have a go at making your own dome so be sure to give it a shot and share it with us all.
Tami

I am an affiliate with Simon Says Stamp and Scrapbook.com so the links below send you to one of those stores depending on which logo you choose.  If you wish to purchase something from either store and use one of my links below, I get a small percentage of your order, at no additional cost to youThis helps me to defray the costs of this blog, the time, the ideas and tutorials I post here. Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!



1 comment:

scrappergirl56 said...

This is so cute! Really like the aged stone look on the doll and knob, looks fabulous...Oh my, I have so many things I want to make my head is spinning with ideas...LOL...