Tuesday, December 22, 2020

North Pole Paper Village

It's crazy busy up in the North Pole! Lights are burning 24/7 to get ready for the big flight. 

I've had this project in mind for a couple of months but didn't have time to finish it up until recently. I was imagining the paper village houses as different workshops uncharge of various holiday necessities, ornaments, trees, hats, cookies, stockings, cocoa, and so on. So I paired the Paper Village dies with an older die called Mini Christmas Things, but you could you so many others you might have. Let's get started! This is easier than it may look.
The idea started when I saw this package of retired Christmas Deco Sheets advertised from Ranger Ink. I couldn't believe they had them in stock, so I purchased them for this project. These sheets are adhesive backed and are very thin, so I adhered them to a piece of plain white cardstock before cutting the various Paper Village Houses.
Once I had the houses assembled, with vellum inside to cover the windows, I started to make them cold and North Pole worthy. I added Distress Collage Medium and Rock Candy Distress Glitter to the white cardstock roofs. Then I used my fine tip glue gun and made some icicles as best I could. I had imagined this would go a little better than it did, but I like the final result anyway. I was going to use my Drippy Candle method, but with nothing to attach the hot glue to, it just ends up being more difficult than you think it will be so be patient when you do this!
The hot glue isn't sparkly, so I did two steps here and I only showed one in my photos, so bear with me. First I quickly brushed on some Collage Medium and then dusted them with Rock Candy Distress Glitter in a Distress Glitter Duster. When they were dry, I put a tiny bit of Grit Pasteon my finger, and pounced teeny tiny bits of it here and there on the roof and the icicles to give it even more of an icy look.
To make the North Pole and some supports for a few of the porches, I adhered the striped deco paper to a straw and some toothpicks. 
Then I cut them to size and adhered them under the porch overhangs with Collage Medium and a bit of Distress Grit paste around the bottoms.
Next I needed a base for all the North Pole snow, so I covered the sides of a Vignette Divided Drawer with Distress Woodgrain Paper. Then I also cut some Holly 3D Impresslits and adhered them to the sides. When that was dry, I covered the top of the box with a layer of Distress Grit paste and some Distress Rock Candy Glitter.
I placed the houses where I wanted them and then pushed them into the Grit Paste to make a template. Once the Grit paste was dry, then I drilled into the center of each house area for some Tiny Lights.
I put about three Tiny Lights through each of the different house areas. then I adhered each house back in its place with Distress Collage Medium.
To make the signs for each workshop, I cut a bunch of Mini Christmas Things from Alcohol Ink Sparkle Cardstock. Then I colored each piece with Alcohol Ink and Blending Solution.
I also cut a wreath and some trees from the Festive Things dies set and trimmed some of the trees a bit shorter to go behind the workshops. When everything was colored, I sprayed them all with Distress Resist Spray and dusted them with Distress Glitter.
When they were dry, I added some grit paste on all of them to make it seem cooler, snowier and frostier.
As you can see, I added the shapes to the top front of the houses.
I added a bit of the dot deco paper, with a Christmas Adornment Quote Chip on the from of the drawer.
Another thing I added was the North Pole that I made earlier. It needed to go in the center with the wreath on it. 
I considered adding a sign that said North Pole on the wreath, but changed my mind in the end.
To make the ball on top of the straw pole, I rolled an Idea-ology Bauble in Grit Paste and then rolled it in Distress Glitter and let it dry before I adhered it to the top of the pole. I adhered it to the top with Collage Medium and added a Grit Paste snow drift around it.
This is the ornament workshop where they make ornaments.
This is the Christmas tree workshop with a little courtyard out in front.
Then the hat workshop.
The cookie workshop (also where the elves can take a break and have a cookie!)
The stocking workshop.
The cocoa workshop where they develop new flavors of cocoa and where the elves can get a cup to go with their cookies on their union regulated breaks.

There you have it, I hope you enjoyed the little portion of the North Pole workshops. This was such a fun make and it's one of those projects that I'm glad to have finally finished.

Merry Christmas!
Tami

I am an affiliate with Simon Says Stamp and Scrapbook.com so the links below send you to one of those stores depending on which logo you choose.  If you wish to purchase something from either store and use one of my links below, I get a small percentage of your order, at no additional cost to youThis helps me to defray the costs of this blog, the time, the ideas and tutorials I post here. Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!


4 comments:

HirschEngelchen said...

Dear Tami,
this is soooo cute and funny! What an idea! You can nearly hear the elves singing Christmas songs while they are working diligently in their sweet little houses. :-) I really love your North Pole paper village!
Greetings from Germany and have a very Merry Christmas!
Anka
a.k.a. HirschEngelchen

scrappergirl56 said...

Super cute, this one almost got past me, I have been working on the Feathered Cardinal project, coloring green papers and getting the Cathedral Windows ready...next up are the cardinals...so love them...LOL.

Margaret Mifsud said...

Wow! This is such a fabulous project! Your little workshops are beautifully made and look amazing!! You obviously put a lot of work into this and it certainly paid off! Just love this piece!! Have a wonderful Christmas! x

Phyllis Nufer said...

Tami, this is such an adorable scene! It turned out so well. Looks like many hours of work went into it. Have a wonderful Christmas!