Saturday, October 5, 2019

Happy Holidays - Merry Misfits

This Merry Misfit reindeer was so much fun to make a card with, that it's only appropriate to use this card to celebrate World Cardmaking Day 2019. I can't wait to get started telling you how I made it. All products used to make this card are from Tim Holtz and several companies: Stampers Anonymous, Ranger Ink, Advantus Idea-ology, and Sizzix.
For the Plaid and Woodgrain backgrounds seen above, I used both stamps in the Lumberjack set from Tim Holtz and Stampers Anonymous. I used the Archival Resist Technique for this that I have written a detailed tutorial for here. But as a quick reminder...
 Take two pieces of Alcohol Ink Cardstock. It is a glossy cardstock on one side. You need to use the glossy side. Put one piece at a time on a stamping platform or whatever you use for stamping. I hold my pieces down with some Sticky Grid sheets from Sizzix so I can use the entire background image.
 Stamp the Plaid in Barn Door Archival Ink on the glossy side of one piece of Alcohol Ink Cardstock, and Ground Espresso Archival Ink on the other.
 It's ok if the stamping isn't perfect. It adds to the distressed look and is cool. Now get out some Distress Ink to finish the technique.
Once the Archival Ink is dry, go directly onto the paper with a Distress Ink Pad to apply the background color.
 You want to rub the Distress Ink pad felt onto the glossy cardstock and you can see that it begins to color it. I work in circular motions over the whole surface.
Once the Distress Ink has saturated the background, wipe the excess away with a clean cloth.
 I used Evergreen Bough Distress Ink over the red plaid and Vintage Photo Distress Ink over the woodgrain.
I hand cut the woodgrain into planks.
Attached it to a black cardstock base with a little space in between each plank.
I cut a piece of the plaid paper out with one of the Stacked Deckle dies so that it just fit the deer and the sentiment. I cut a mat just a tiny bit bigger out of black cardstock.
I wanted snow to be a part of this card so I pulled out the Mini Snowcap Layering Stencil that is part of the Mini Stencil Set #38 from Stampers Anonymous and Tim Holtz.
Put some Distress Grit Paste through the stencil with a palette knife, onto a thin piece of white cardstock.
Immediately dust it with Distress Rock Candy Glitter using a Glitter Duster.
Let it dry and then fussy cut them out and adhere them in a few spots on the background of the card.
I didn't put this directly on the background because the ink from this technique would bleed through and color the snow and I wanted it white so I opted for the extra steps.
From this direction you can see that I stamped and cut an extra nose and set of hooves to add dimension to the deer. I also sprayed it with Distress Resist Spray to give it a shiny orange peel texture. The deer is popped up off the card as is the sentiment. I put some Grit Paste across the top of the sentiment to make it fit in with the rest of the card and so it looked like the deer was standing on some snow.
Lastly, I flicked the background with some Picket Fence Distress Paint, followed by spraying the entire plank background with Distress Resist Spray and dusting it with Rock Candy Glitter from the Glitter Duster.
Then it was time to add the snowcaps, and the plaid piece which was raised up off the card for more dimension.  The final touch was to carefully add Hardware Heads to each plank with the tiniest little drift of snow on each of the Hardware Heads.
This is a fun card to make because it's like a mini little project card. It will take a little while to do all the steps but it's fun and well worth it!
Tami

I am an affiliate with Simon Says Stamp and Scrapbook.com so the links below send you to one of those stores depending on which logo you choose.  If you wish to purchase something from either store and use one of my links below, I get a small percentage of your order, at no additional cost to you. This helps me to defray the costs of this blog, the time, the ideas and tutorials I post here. Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

4 comments:

Martina said...

What a gorgeous card! I love all the details you added. Thanks for the very clever tip about the snow parts. I wouldn´t have thought about it but when you mentioned it, I realized the problem.
Greetings from Germany
Martina

Lucy said...

Wonder what color and ink type did you use for the browns in the reindeer?

Tammy in Ontario, Canada said...

What deer die is this?

Lucy said...

Trying to find out what color the reindeer is and is it a marker or watercolor