Friday, October 4, 2019

Eyemagination Part 3 - Eyeris Plant

This is the final post on this Idea-ology Eyemagination project, so I hope it answers any other questions you may have about it. Let me start with a couple of basics that probably should have been in the first post. LOL!  In case you missed it, Part 1 - Zipper Eye and Part 2 - For the Eyes
  • The project is made in a large Vignette Tray. 
  • The feet are the Mini Foundations. 
  • I colored the tray by painting it with Black Soot Distress Paint and wiping it off.  
  • The background is two pieces of Worn Wallpaper. 
  • I made the "baseboards" by cutting some chipboard at 1/2" and 1/4" then gluing them together and covering them with the Halloween Design Tape that looks like wood.
 The curtains from the Layers and Baseboards are really cool and they fit on both sides of a piece or just one side if you choose to use just one. They fit the large Vignette box perfectly, but are a little bit short for the large Vignette Tray.
You can see here that to work on the large Vignette Tray, they need to be slightly altered, as you can see here.
I used my Mini Snips to trim the bottom of the curtain at this point. Just follow the fold line. Then I inked the raw edge and tucked the cut piece under the bottom of the curtain. I think it worked pretty well!
On the right side of the project I put a couple of kind of hidden pieces behind the Layers and Baseboards Curtain.
This eye was in the Ephemera Pack I believe. I adhered it to a piece of chipboard and then attached it behind the opening of an Ornate Plate. Then I put some Glossy Accents just over the inside of the eyeball. I added some Hex Fasteners on each side.
Tucked in at the bottom is another hidden little piece. I popped two irises out of the Creepy Eyes and put them behind the keyhole of one of the Keyholes Key Hardware pieces. I backed them with some chipboard and then put glossy accents over the entire keyhole. Then finished it off with some Hex Fasteners.
Alright, on to the final big piece, the Eyeris plant.  This in one of those planters that I made earlier in the summer minus the grit paste and grunge. I've posted the tutorial here as a reminder.
 Begin with a sprocket gear, a handcut piece of cardstock just a tiny bit bigger than the inside of the gear, and one of the Mini Hardware knobs.
 There are three types of knobs in the Mini Hardware set. One is a circle pull and then these two. For an urn base, I feel that the knob on the left has a better shape for viewing from the side. Save the other type for an actual knob on a project.
 Remove the screw from the bottom of the knob.
 This picture shows how the cardstock will attach to the gear, but it needs to go on the bottom of the gear. If it doesn't, the knob won't fit in the center. In the photo it is sitting on the top so you can see how it should be positioned. You can tell it is the top of the gear because the edges are a little beveled and the finish is smoother than the underside.
 Add some collage medium to the cardstock circle. then put the gear on top, making sure that none of the cardstock shows, except in the very center.
 Add more collage medium to the center of the gear.
 Press the base of the knob into the center of the gear. Some of the collage medium will squeeze out.
 Wipe away some of the excess collage medium.
 It will look something like this when you are done. Set it aside to dry.
 Meanwhile you can choose the thimble for your urn.  The thimbles come in a pack of 5 and are different sizes and styles.
 They look different on the urn base because of this. I prefer the 3rd and 4th ones from the left in this picture. I think the others are too big or too small for the base.  But go with what feels right to you and what you like.
 Now we are going to attach the urn to the base with Collage Medium.
 Squeeze a good amount onto the center top of the knob.
 Gently place the urn into the collage medium.
 I mean gently too! As opposed to the base, you don't want the collage medium to squeeze out and around the thimble.
 You want it to be enough to hold it in place when it dries and to cushion it so that it sits evenly on the top of the knob. At this point you should set it aside for a few hours or go to bed and finish tomorrow. It needs to be really dry before the next step.

I painted a very dark metallic gold by mixing Black Soot Distress Paint and Tarnished Brass Distress Paint  and attached a Creepy Eye to the front for a steam punk urn.
I put some moss in the thimble, cut a few pieces of greenery for the plant and then made the Eyeris blooms.
Take a Creepy Eyeball and a piece of green wrapped floral wire.
Attach it to the back of the Creepy Eyeball. A dab of hot glue is the easiest just be sure not to get any on your finger!
Once it is attached, then you want to wrap the wire around the eyeball.
 Adhere it to the back and then keep enough at the bottom to use as a stem to stick into the planter.
To make sure the wire stayed in place, I added some Collage Medium.
Once I put some Collage Medium on,
I worked it in with my finger so it would hold them all together.
Once it is dry you can put it into the Thimble Urn among the die cut leaves and the moss to make an Eyeris plant.

Hopefully I covered everything you will need to know to complete this project If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me through the form in the column on the right.

A big thank you to those who have waited so patiently for me to post these tutorials. Please tag me if you make a version of this so I can see what you made.

Tami

I am an affiliate with Simon Says Stamp and Scrapbook.com so the links below send you to one of those stores depending on which logo you choose.  If you wish to purchase something from either store and use one of my links below, I get a small percentage of your order, at no additional cost to you. This helps me to defray the costs of this blog, the time, the ideas and tutorials I post here. Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

3 comments:

scrappergirl56 said...

"Eye" see this is the last post for this project...LOL,LOL,LOL...Sorry, "Eye" could not resist. Fabulous project, "Eye" love everything about it...ooppsie! "eye" did it again..."Eye" sure hope you get a chuckle out of this post...

ann barnes said...

I loved this project from the moment I laid eyes on it. So many incredible details, the keyhole is creepy cool! This urn is such a creative combination of pieces and it looks amazing! Thank you for always being so generous and sharing your ideas and your talents with us. You really do inspire me. xx

Theresa said...

This project is so amazing and I learned a bunch while making it. I so love all the detail you show in your projects. I will post my finished piece in the Addicts facebook group when the last of the glue is dry. thanks as always for sharing.