Monday, October 28, 2019

Graveyard Vignette Box Mausoleums Idea-ology

Along with the graveyard monuments in my last post, I made some graveyard mausoleums using vignette boxes. Getting these pieces to look appropriately aged isn't as difficult as you may think.
To start off with you need a set of Vignette Boxes and the Halloween Layers and Baseboards. You need the two smallest boxes and the baseboard frame that look like the one above.
The frame is obviously larger than the bigger of the two boxes. I cut it down to fit my box by cutting some off the top, bottom and center so that I had a window with the cool corners but also so it fit on the box.
Here you can see where I had measured the box and figured out how much to cut off the top, middle and bottom.  When this is done you can toss the parts with the X through it and keep the two pieces that are left.
Once they are cut, when you sandwich them together it should end up looking something like this. You can fiddle with it until it looks the way you want.
Before you attach the baseboard frame pieces to the box, you need to get gritty. Attach the mini brickwork stencil THS038. Using a palette knife, spread a thin layer through the bricks. Lift the stencil off and you have a brick wall.
Do the same application to the entire outside of the small box. When they re dryish, spray them all over with several colors of  Distress Oxide Spray. I used Forest Moss, Black Soot and any brown but I think I used Ground Espresso. I sprayed it all over the boxes, covering all the sides and bottom. Let dry.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
On the Crypt Cameos and the Skull and Cross Bones, I put some of the Grit Paste on my finger and just tapped it onto them. Then I sprayed them with the same Distress Oxide Sprays as well. I did this process to a few tombstones as well. NOT pictured is the Metal Fence. It got the same treatment as everything else. Grit Paste and then Distress Oxide Sprays.
Mine ended up really pickling the wood on the boxes and then turning the grit paste a cool grey with green and brown bits thrown in. This is cool and I could have stopped here but I wanted to go one step further.
As you can see from this photo, on the smaller box, I added a curved frame.  You have to do this carefully. Bend a little move, bend a little move, bend a little, keep doing this until you get it bent enough that you could attach it to both sides of the box.
I wanted to add a bit more color, so I scribbled some Distress Crayons in Peeled Paint, and any brown you might have on hand. once it is scribble where you want, then rub it in the space
This close up show the Grit Paste with the Distress Crayonn colors on the top.
More of the mossy effect from the Distress Crayon in Peeled Paint.
And here it is in place in the graveyard.
I adhered the Baseboard Frame onto the box once the brick work was dry.Then I tapped some Grit Paste onto it all around the edges. Let it dry and added more color with Distress Crayons.
Here you can see all that luscious texture!
This shows the detail of the Grit Paste and Distress Crayons.
My next post will address the entire graveyard holder and then how to pull it all together.
Tami

I am an affiliate with Simon Says Stamp and Scrapbook.com so the links below send you to one of those stores depending on which logo you choose.  If you wish to purchase something from either store and use one of my links below, I get a small percentage of your order, at no additional cost to you. This helps me to defray the costs of this blog, the time, the ideas and tutorials I post here. Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

3 comments:

sarascloset said...

Tami, what an amazing tutorial with results that are so realistic! Your coloring is spot on and the texture makes these look like the mausoleums have been around for hundreds of years! Fabulous work!

ann barnes said...

Wow, that brickwork and those finishes are so amazing, it’s almost creepy! I love that you are sharing all these techniques and ideas with us! Thank you!

Tom Gray said...

Those are INCREDIBLE!!!