Thursday, October 3, 2019

Eyemagination Part 2 - For the Eyes

This is the second blog post for this piece. If you missed the first one, I discussed the center portion of the piece and how I made each of the eye pieces in the frames. That blog post is here: Eyemagination Part 1: Zipper Eye.
I thought that I would address how I made the zombie trophy and the the two dome pieces in this blog post. I wanted the trophy to look kind of steampunk sculptural if that is a thing.
To make this piece, you need a package of the Vignette Finial Set.
 There are four pieces in this set and I have been having a lot of fun with these this summer so I'm excited to get to share some of them with you this month.
 For this steampunk trophy you need the small finial base that is second from the left.
I adhered the zombie hand to the finial base with Distress Collage Medium and let it dry. Then I added one of the Eyeballs in the palm of the hand with Collage Medium and let that dry.
Soon it was time to paint it.  I put some Black Soot Distress Paint in some Tarnished Brass Distress Paint and mixed them together and then painted the entire statue, including the white part of the eye.  As I let it dry I put the tiny oval Remnant Rub that said For the EYE onto a piece of Heavystock. I cut it out and adhered it to some metallic Kraftstock and hand cut a small mat around the edges. Then laying it flat I put a layer of Glossy Accents on it so it would look like a metal enamel sign. When it was dry I attached it to the front of the statue and you are done!
The paper doll in this scene represents the Imagineer I discussed in the last post who inspired this whole piece, Rolly Crump.
These hanging spiders are really so very cool!! The only alteration I made was to cut the iris out of one of the eyeballs and attach it to the pearl so it looked like she was holding an eyeball.
These two Corked Domes are easier than they look. I painted the cork bottoms and finial base with a mix of Black Soot Distress Paint and Brushed Pewter Distress Paint. The glass domes were aged by applying a little tiny bit of Mushroom Alcohol Ink to the outside.
The small dome has some Mummy Cloth in it with multiple Creepy Eyes stuck in the cloth like they were preserved. A label from the Snippets package was added and the numbers are from the Remnant Rubs.
I wanted this dome to have a weird sculpture. I adhered several Ideaology Mini Gears together and added some irises from a few of the Creepy Eyes to the center of a few gears. I stuck a piece of bamboo skewer (you could use a toothpick or something similar) painted with the same paint as the base, into the cork and adhered the gear sculpture to it and let it dry. You need to continually check to be sure you aren't making the sculpture too wide or too tall for the dome.
 As a little detail, I attached one of the Fragile Snippets to the front. I want to show you how I made the base for this piece because it is a little hack I've been using all summer.
 I took the small finial top (on the far left) and decided to make it into a base.
 I used my scissors and cut the little ball off the top.
 I was too impatient to wait for my husband to get home and find a saw so I just kept working in a circle and cutting away little bits of wood.
 Here you can see how it takes a little bit of effort and you need to be very careful if you do this. Use protective gear, watch your fingers and don't be careless.  I worked slowly and safely. 
 Once it breaks off there is a rough spot in the center, so I sanded it down level.
 And there you have it. Another base for a piece.  I saved the little ball and sanded the bottom of it just in case I might need it for something, and I did!
Remember this guy? You can see he is stuck to the top of the little ball from the finial.  It's surprising how many things you can use later on so don't throw stuff away.
Ok, so I adhered the cork to the new finial base and then painted them both with a mix of Black Soot Distress Paint and Brushed Pewter Distress Paint. 
That's it for the next five pieces of the Eyemagination project.

Thanks again for sticking with me through this long post.
Tami

I am an affiliate with Simon Says Stamp and Scrapbook.com so the links below send you to one of those stores depending on which logo you choose.  If you wish to purchase something from either store and use one of my links below, I get a small percentage of your order, at no additional cost to you. This helps me to defray the costs of this blog, the time, the ideas and tutorials I post here. Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

4 comments:

scrappergirl56 said...

Whoo Hoo! Part II already...that's a great hack using the finials and cutting that one off was a brilliant hack...so cool! I need to get this one started....NOW!

ann barnes said...

Seriously loving this project and these combos of paints you’ve used are incredible looking! I will be picking up some more black soot paint (since I’m running low) and then I am going to try out a few combos, they look like authentic tarnished metal finishes! Thank you, as always for sharing your ideas AND inspiring me! xx

Theresa said...

Zoe, I have to tell you that I have been so enjoying trying all the techniques you are showing on this project. All the details make it so perfect. I had to look up Rolly too. I can't travel any longer but I sure would like to see all the wonderful creations that have been build at Disney World since I was there in 1976. I have to get a zipper so I can try the zipper eye. You amaze me with how you see things and put them together. thanks as always for sharing.

Lynette said...

Glad to have found this project. Perfect decor for my house as my husband is an optometrist!