Monday, April 4, 2022

Wonderland Vignette - Sizzix Ch 2

Whoooooooooooooo are yooooooooooooou? I made this Alice in Wonderland inspired vignette with two of the newest Tim Holtz Sizzix chapter 2 releases - Artsy Stems and Abstract Faces.

 I recorded myself as I planned and made this project, so I compiled it all into this walk-through tutorial.

 To begin with I covered the sides of a large Idea-ology Square Vignette Box with the Abstract Faces scribbles cut from Distress Kraft Heavystock. Put a thin layer of Collage Medium Matte on the box, then press the die cut into it and make sure it is securely fastened onto the box. Next cover with Collage Medium and smooth it out with your fingers. Repeat with another die cut until the outside of the box is completely covered.
Then paint the outside of the box with Villainous Potion Distress Paint. Once it is completely dry, rub Shaded Lilac Distress Cranyon over the paint and rub it into the crevices with a slightly damp finger.
 Paint the inside with a mixture of blues, keeping the darker on the outside edges and the lighter toward the center.

 To make the toadstool, cut two of the rounded triangle shape from Watercolor cardstock. Then cut the bottom off one of them using the bottom of the die as you see in the photo above.
 
 Here are the various bits I used to make the main toadstool and caterpillar parts. I hand trimmed around the circle (head) and segmented piece I used for its body.
 
 I colored the pieces for the toadstool this way. The two scalloped segments will be layered to make the stem.

All of the pieces like this were mostly cut from left over pieces of green heavystock and cut apart in various ways to make blades of grass.
 
Another die cut that was trimmed to make various blades of grass. I got three blade shapes out of this piece if you count the piece that falls out in the middle of the blade.

 Here is the toadstool ready to be put into action in the vignette.

 For the toadstool I cut one of the half-circle rocks in half so it would poke out on both sides and then I added some of the grass strands I made. I use a variety of things to make pieces have dimension and for this one I cut a piece of thick foam. Another thing you can use is old bingo or scrabble chips, or layers of chipboard scraps,
 
Here is the piece put together as we have it so far. Now we need the flowers out front.

 

I cut a few extra Artsy Stems from the green heavystock and then cut them each along the top to cut off the flowers and make it seem like a vine.

I attached the vines, stems, and grass to the front and back of the rock and then made a little easel to hold it up at the front of the vignette box.

Here is another set that shows the grass, vines and stems with the rock.

To get them to stand up I used the easel and the edge of the vignette box as you can see here,

Here is the finished product from the side.

I added a Word Plaque from the recent Tim Holtz Idea-ology release, colored it with Mustard Seed Distress Paint, and then attached it with Idea-ology Tack Nails.

 

I discussed in detail in the video how I made the caterpillar. As I said earlier I used the segmented shape and circle from Abstract Faces to make the shape of the caterpillar, then cut around them with scissors. The horns are the knockouts from the lips, the arms and feet are the ends of one of the eye lashes, and the face is just jumbled together from the knockouts.

One more detail I added was the Idea-ology Word Key that says Curious because Alice keeps claiming things are curiouser and curiouser.

 

I used the same Mustard See Distress Paint to make sure the details stand out.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me through the space in the right column.

Thank you so very much for stopping by and reading though this post!

Have a creative day,

Tami

I am an affiliate with Simon Says Stamp and Scrapbook.com so the links below send you to one of those stores depending on which logo you choose.  If you wish to purchase something from either store and use one of my links below, I get a small percentage of your order, at no additional cost to youThis helps me to defray the costs of this blog, the time, the ideas and tutorials I post here. 

Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely love this project, so creative and whimsical!

scrappergirl56/Sherry said...

What a fun project, you must have had a blast making this one. So creative to be able to see shapes in pieces to make them something they are not. Gifted!

Unknown said...

Love the way your mind works, Tami. I saw the toadstool from the dies, but not until after I saw your make. It's fun to see how you used the dies in ways they weren't intended. Thank you for sharing your process.

Jeanne said...

This was an incredibly creative way to use the faces die. I love everything about this make... The colors, the depth, the trippy looks. I mean it’s a trippy story to begin with, right? L O L What a phenomenal job!!! ❤️❤️❤️

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

So glad i came to read this as I had not seen all the pieces to the mushroom. So fabulous the way your mind works. I absolutely adore that caterpillar! You are so so brilliant!