Sunday, January 12, 2020

Romantic Roses Etcetera Tag - Tim Holtz 3D Sizzix

 The 3D Roses Embossing folder and 3D Impresslits, Flourish and Trellis are really beautiful!  I really enjoyed working with them! I have several projects to share with you but this one is so versatile I wanted to start with it. You  might recognize it from the FB Live release. I used a very light neutral on this tag. It can be used for a wedding, Valentines Day, an anniversary, or just a pretty floral decor piece.
 The Roses folder is large, and uses a piece bigger than an A2 4.25 x 5.5 piece of paper. Its an A6 size, 4.5 x 6.25. I used 8.5x11 pieces of Distress Watercolor Cardstock for this entire tag, so you will need to cut an A6 sized piece. For this mini tutorial I just grabbed an A2 piece of cardstock that was handy, so you will be able to see how much larger the folder is.
There is so much fabulous flat area around the roses that allows for stamping, so you need ink and a stamp. I chose Hickory Smoke Archival Ink and the music stamp from the Music and Advert CMS358.
 Ink the stamp and then randomly stamp it here and there all over the depressed side of the embossing folder.
 Lightly spray the paper with a little water and lay the Distress Watercolor Cardstock on the inked side with the smooth side down (facing the ink.) Reminder that for the tag, you will need to cut a piece that fits in the entire folder, 4.5 x 6.25.
 Put the embossing folder on the embossing platform (look at the pics on it) but only use ONE cutting mat as the 3D folders are thicker than the standard embossing folders.
 Then run the folder through the machine 3 times for 3D.
 When you remove it you will see that the stamped image will show on the flat areas of the embossed piece. It might take you several attempts to get the stamping to look the way you want. That's ok! just practice on some inexpensive cardstock and then when you feel like you have it, move to the Watercolor Cardstock.
 Now you need to move to Pumice Stone Distress Ink to add some age and distress the piece.
 I edged the piece with Pumice Stone Ink using a blending tool and also added some on the roses. I tried to leave the flat areas as white as possible. Then I sprayed the entire piece with water and let it work its magic. Then dried it with a heat tool.
 Then I used a water brush and lightly brushed some Pumice Stone Ink onto the flowers, stems and leaves. Again I sprayed the whole thing with water, let it work and then dried it again.
 I did this to all of the 3D pieces, and I really love the shabby look it gave it.
 You can see that it  added little bits of brown with the grey. So cool
 Also I cut a mat for the AG embossed piece from Watercolor Cardstock, and also covered the entire Small Etcetera Tag with Distress Watercolor Cardstock. You can see how even just adding a bit of the Pumice Stone to the edges of the Mat, Tag, and Rose piece really tied them all together.
 I love how these roses subtly stand out and how the music is just a light element in the background. I added a Hardware Head in each corner to make the grey pop on this piece.
If you were using this for an anniversary or wedding or even Valentines Day, you could add a sentiment, Quote Chip, or as I did here, some metal numbers.
 I wanted to show a few close ups so that you can see that it isn't perfect, but I think it looks like an old tag that shows years of dust and life.
 It almost looks as if the Trellis border was carved from the tag.
 These folders have so much amazing detail!
I really love this monocromatic, romantic piece and I hope you do as well. Stay tuned for more of these folders in the next few weeks. I has such fun creating with them.
Tami

I am an affiliate with Simon Says Stamp and Scrapbook.com so the links below send you to one of those stores depending on which logo you choose.  If you wish to purchase something from either store and use one of my links below, I get a small percentage of your order, at no additional cost to you. This helps me to defray the costs of this blog, the time, the ideas and tutorials I post here. Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

2 comments:

Nancy Wethington said...

Beautiful! The Pumice Stone trick is so good. Must try!

Christina said...

WoW Tami - this is amazing. I love your technique! Your tag looks like it was made with actual stone. xxx