Thursday, January 9, 2020

True Love Shines - Tim Holtz Sizzix Chapter 1 2020

Tim Holtz and Sizzix really hit it off with a bang in 2020 with an amazing Chapter 1 release. Two that I through were going to be instant favorites for me were the Curio Box set and the Heartbeat set.  I immediately wanted to use them together.
To make the curio box, you need a sturdy base. The box without the tabs was intended to be cut from chipboard or the Sizzix "Little Sizzles" Mat board seen in these photos. You can cover both sides with paper before you cut it if you want. Because it is a steel rule die, it can cut through thick materials. I recommend attaching the paper with the Sizzix Permanent Adhesive Sheets.
Once the back piece is cut, I used Collage Medium and placed it along the corners where the sides join and held it for a few seconds before moving on to the next corner. Once all four corners were attached, then I put a rubber band around the box so it could continue to dry while I worked on the top.
I cut the top piece (the one with tabs) out of a piece of paper from the Ideaology Memoranda paper stash. Then I carefully centered the Heartbeat heart die in the center of the paper and cut it out. You need to remove the die carefully so you don't tear the heartbeat line across the center.
Then I did a couple of things that I didn't photograph so please bear with me.
  1. I used a red Distress Marker to color just the heartbeat across the middle of the heart. 
  2. Then I inked a piece of Translucent Yupo with a little bit of Mushroom Alcohol Ink. 
  3. Next I cut it the size of the top of the box without the sides so it would fit inside the box behind the heart. 
  4. I adhered the Yupo and then I sewed all the way around the inside edge of what would be the front of the box. 
When I had completed those steps, I was ready to assemble the box. I put a bit of Distress Collage Medium on the tabs and then attached them to form the top of the box.
I wanted it to light up, so I poked a hole in the back of the box to thread the lights through, leaving the battery pack on the outside of the back of the box. Then I fashioned a little box to hold the battery pack out of the same paper as the rest of the box. At this point I attached the front of the box to the back permanently.
On the front you can see all the inking on the cover, heartbeat, and Yupo as well as the sewing around the inside edge of the box. Then it was time to decorate. I cut a few hearts from the Falling Hearts die set and cut the letters XOXO using the lowercase Alphanumeric Tiny Type font.
I cut one heart out of the same red Distress Ink as I used to color the Heartbeat.
Here you can see how much the lights add to this piece! I love it!
I also thought I would show that it is equally as delightful when it isn't lit. I finished this piece by adding a small Vignette Base to the bottom and tying a bit of ribbon around it.

I know that was a quick walk through of this little project, but once you get started you will notice that it goes together very quickly.
Thank you so very much for stopping by for my first post of 2020.
Tami

I am an affiliate with Simon Says Stamp and Scrapbook.com so the links below send you to one of those stores depending on which logo you choose.  If you wish to purchase something from either store and use one of my links below, I get a small percentage of your order, at no additional cost to you. This helps me to defray the costs of this blog, the time, the ideas and tutorials I post here. Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

4 comments:

scrappergirl56 said...

What a way to kick off the New Year and fist project post!!! I agree that these will be favorites for all times/uses. Great quick/short tutorial, covered everything and easy to understand what you were doing. Great start!

Freddie Bubblescrap Sleijpen said...

You never cease to amaze me with your talent and ingenuity my friend. Love it xx

Rea' said...

Genius !! <3

sarascloset said...

Great Valentine's Day project (or anytime, actually!) and a fabulous tutorial, Tami!