Saturday, December 1, 2018

Tree Light - Wooden and Vintage Collage Tree Lights

I had such fun making these Tree Lights with the new Tree Light die set from Tim Holtz Sizzix Alterations.
The die set comes in two sizes and has three different cut outs. I used two of the cutouts on my samples. They fit over a standard tea light, and the light shines through the cutouts.
My first Tree Light samples show both sizes and the star cut out.  I'll show you below how I did the made the star cut outs look golden yellow.

 For the wood grain trees, I cut them out of Distress Woodgrain 8x10 paper that was colored with Distress Oxides and Distress Stains.
Once they were cut I attached them to the nonstick pad on my craft mat with double sided tape or glue dots in several places. The sample in the photos above and below I used the dot cut outs, but for my final sample I made another set with the start cut outs.
Then I added clear Glossy Accents into the cut out areas and let it dry. I added more as needed. Some of the bigger patterns like the starts below needed two or three applications and drying time in between.
Because the paper was colored with Oxides and Stains which are water reactive, the Glossy Accents will naturally turn a clear yellow color as seen in this picture. You can also see that they get a tiny bit of texture on the inside from the nonstick mat but that's ok.
I really love this technique! I had planned to color them from the inside with alcohol inks, but I loved the warm yellow too much.
I could have easily left them plain wood with the yellow stars, but my Christmas decor is always over the top with gold and silver, so I added some berry garlands cut from the Village Christmastime die set, but I cut them from the gold and silver metallic kraftstock. The star on the large tree was from the Snowy Stars die set. I cut three and attached them over the tip of the tree.
The star on the smaller tree is one of the star cutouts from the larger tree. I used three again and folded them and adhered them together so you could see it from all sides. I love it!
I decorated the tea light as well. First I adhere a leftover piece of the woodgrain paper, then on top of that I added a piece of a 3-D Scallop Impresslit cut from more Metallic Kraftstock.
For this second Tree Light, I took an 8x10 piece of Distress Mixed Media Heavystock and covered it with Aviary Collage Paper. I thought the music and birds were festive. Once the Distress Collage Medium was dry on the Heavystock, I cut the tree out.
I wanted to do something a little extra on this tree as well, so I cut several Scallop Impresslits and covered them with Distress Collage Medium.
I attached the tree together and then adhered the scallop along the bottom of the tree and onto the tea light. Then I distressed both the tree and the base with Distress Crayons. I love the vintage feel to this tree light.

So there you have it, two ways to dress up the Tree Light dies. I can see them being made for many holidays and even some for just an everyday set.

Have fun with these!

1 comment:

ann barnes said...

The wood grain paper used as a base is such a cool idea and I LOVE the way the glossy accents grabbed the color and ended up a warm yellow glow when the ligh shines through, it looks beautiful! And as much as those are awesome, my favorite tree light is the collage papered one, it looks so wonderful with the impresslits. I am sure you home all decked out for the holidays is a spectacular sight to see!