Saturday, March 13, 2021

Remember Who you Are - Sizzix Colorize

I’m bringing you a project today that I made for the Sizzix Making Journal Blog featuring Harrison, one of the new colorize dies from Tim Holtz. I had a chance to visit Walt Disney World in October for the very first time ever and as expected, I fell in love with Disney Animal Kingdom park. With that inspiration in mind, I decided to do something that would represent that park in my make with Harrison.

To begin, I wanted to make some paper that looked like African Mud Cloth or Kitenge cloth. You do not need to do this step if you have some patterned paper you would rather use. For me, it’s all in the details, and I really enjoy making things like this to give my projects a unique, personalized feel.

First you need to stamp a pattern onto some Distress Mixed Media Heavystock. I used small, linear stamps from a set called Media Marks 1 and 2 from Stampers Anonymous, and stamped them two at a time in clear embossing ink. 

I moved the paper 1/2 “ and stamped again, moved, stamped again, until I had a whole side stamped.

Then quickly put embossing powder over it, heat emboss, ink the piece with Distress Ink, spray with water, and let the piece dry naturally.

Then using a hot, dry iron, put a clean piece of printer paper over the embossing and heat it with the iron until the embossing powder remelts and soaks into the printer paper. It’s a great look and perfect for this piece.

You can use the paper that soaked up the Embossing Powder, as it will still resist, so cover it with Distress Inks or Distress Stains in the same manner you did the first few pieces. You will end up with a nice array of papers that you can choose from.

When you have several pieces of paper, you need to cut them into triangles. I used the smallest two triangles from the Stacked Triangles dies. Cut several of each triangle from different paper colors. I cut green and yellow triangles and then orange and dark brown of the smallest triangles.

Arrange the green triangles so they point up along the bottom, and down across the top. Then cut a different color to face the opposite direction. In these triangles, I added a smaller one in the middle of them for interest.

Across the bottom cut a strip to fit across the tag, but just wide enough to place some of the small triangles on their sides. I cut this from the dark brown paper. The triangles on this piece (I used orange ones) should have the points facing the side and the bottoms butted against each other.

One other bit of prep work is to paint the Etcetera Tag with Speckled Egg Distress Paint, and then when it is completely dry, sand it off in areas, allowing the tag to show through. 

You want to be sure before you adhere the Stacked Triangle pieces that you make sure you have room for Harrison and your sentiment.

Once the patterns on the top and bottom were started I added some strips of black paper across the tag, between the vertical and horizontal patterns. I made this the same way as the papers above, I just used the pine from the Flurry & Pine CMS312 stamp. I cut 1.8" strips to go across several places to separate the borders.

I cut Harrison from Distress Watercolor Cardstock on the rough side that I had colored with Distress Inks, making the pattern look a little like ruffled fur. I found it easier to watercolor the pieces before I cut them on the large parts. Then it just took a second to color the tiny pieces with a watercolor brush before cutting. 

I assembled Harrison according to the photo on the package, but Sizzix has a great video here for putting him together that might help.

Next I cut and assembled the Funky Trees and I adhered Harrison and the trees onto the tag leaving enough space for the sentiment.

As you can see I put Harrison and the Funky Trees on the bottom of the brown border to leave room for the sentiment.
.

I cut the title from the Bold Alphanumeric several times. I cut each letter three times from black cardstock, and once from the orange paper. I glued the black cardstock letters to one another and then attached the orange one on top. This makes the sentiment really stand out.

The finished tag can be a decor piece that is a good reminder that as Mufasa told Simba, “Remember Who You Are.”


Thanks you so much for following along with this make. I hope you are inspired to make something with the new Harrison Colorize die.

TamiB


I am an affiliate with Simon Says Stamp and Scrapbook.com so the links below send you to one of those stores depending on which logo you choose.  If you wish to purchase something from either store and use one of my links below, I get a small percentage of your order, at no additional cost to youThis helps me to defray the costs of this blog, the time, the ideas and tutorials I post here. Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

No comments: