Friday, December 13, 2019

Baby It's COLD Outside - Christmas Idea-ology 2019

The woodsy feel of much of the 2019 Christmas Ideaology was so inspirational to me that I made this Vignette Divided Box with some of it.  I love how it turned out! Cold, snowy and icy.  The great thing about it is that a woodsy piece like this can stay out all winter since it isn't really Christmasy. 
This is going to be one of those inspirational posts rather than a tutorial. I just hope some of the ideas from the images will spark something in your own creativity as you make your own project.
In the top left box I covered the back with the pine bough paper and the sides with the wood grain. I added an icicle across the top, a Typed Token on a wood slice with a little grit paste on it.
Three small trees with Mica Flakes on them set the scene.  Two of the deer were painted with Distress Paints. The snow on the bottom of the box is Distress Grit Paste piled up to look like snow drifts, and then sprinkled with Distress Glitter. Then I set the trees into it.
The lower left box was backed with one of the scenic photos from the Baseboards and Layers pack. I love how it immediately transports the Paper Doll right outside.  Fabulous!
I put more Grit Paste along the bottom of the box, then stacked a few Wood Slices adding more Grit Paste on each slice, then topping them with a pair of skates (retired.)
In the corner I added the Paper Doll, a tree with mica flakes and two pine cone adornments with a little Grit Paste on them.
For the large tree, and I didn't mention this but I colored all the trees with Distress Stain in Peeled Paint. I might have added a spray or two of Iced Spruce to deepen the color. ** Don't over-saturate the tree. It doesn't need it. While it is drying, color some beaded berries with Sepia Alcohol Ink.
Clip the berries off the wire and adhere them into the tree single or in groups to mimic pine cones. Adhere some of the Tiny Jingle Bells into the tree for ornaments, Then dab some Collage Medium here and there on the tree and sprinkle with Distress Mica Flakes.
I layered a piece of chipboard covered with a piece of the plaid paper and a large Ephemera card with pine cones on it behind the lovely Paper Dolls couple.The inside of the top of the box was covered with the striped paper from the Christmas Paper Stash. Then I rolled some Baubles in Distress Grit Paste, then Collage Medium, then Distress Rock Candy Glitter.
Before I adhered the tree and other things in the large side of the Divided Box, I made the COLD Ice Cubes. I adhered the Silver Stencil Chips to some vellum. Then trimmed them so they fit perfectly across the bottom of the box. Then I fashioned a ledge for it by adhering some chipboard scraps on each edge and along the bottom.
Then one that forms the top of the COLD box. Before attaching the COLD onto the front, you need to add some Tiny Lights colored blue with a bit of Sailboat Blue Alcohol Ink. Drill a small hole in the back of the box and leaving the battery pack on the back of the piece, thread the lights through it. I wrapped the lights around a tongue depressor or craft stick and adhered it in the back of the box where the cold letters will be adhered.
To make the letters look icy I put the whole piece, with the vellum on the back, onto a nonstick mat. Then I slathered some Distress Crackle Paint over the entire piece with my finger. Especially making sure it went down into the letters and onto the vellum. Let it dry completely. Repeat, but this time dust it with some Distress Rock Candy Glitter.
When it is completely dry, adhere it onto the lip of the chipboard box you formed earlier. When it is dry, then cover the top of the box with Grit Paste as seen in the picture above, allowing some Grit Paste to form down onto the Stencil Chips so that they look like snow drifts.
I finished the piece with some Wood Slice legs by stacking different sized Wood Slices together and then putting some Grit Paste on then to match the feel of the rest of the piece.

Whew that was a little long! Thank you for sticking with me. I hope I pointed out enough details that you found something to spark your imagination.

I just recently posted a cookie to my Instagram that tastes just like a hot drink from my Childhood Christmases. Friends used to give jars of Friendship Tea as Christmas gifts when I was younger. It's spicy orange flavor is perfect to drink on a super cold day, so I hope you enjoy these cookies that remind me of that yummy friendship tea. Orange Pomander Cookies.
Tami

I am an affiliate with Simon Says Stamp and Scrapbook.com so the links below send you to one of those stores depending on which logo you choose.  If you wish to purchase something from either store and use one of my links below, I get a small percentage of your order, at no additional cost to you. This helps me to defray the costs of this blog, the time, the ideas and tutorials I post here. Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

1 comment:

HirschEngelchen said...

Dear Tamera,
what a wonderful, inspiring and outstandig decor piece! I am sitting here, admiring each single detail! Thank you so much for sharing your ideas with us!
Hugs from Germany
Anka