Saturday, January 26, 2019

Spring - Tim Holtz Sizzix Chapter 1 Cottontail

Cottontail is such a great Bigz steel rule die from Tim Holtz and Sizzix. You aren't just limited to Easter with this die, because he is cute for spring designs, Valentines (honey bunny!) Disney scrapbooking (White Rabbit, March Hare, Roger Rabbit, Thumper, you see where I'm going here) clothing, babies, and friends who have pet bunnies!
Today's card was made for the Ranger Ink booth to show uses for Distress Inks and Oxides. The background was made the same way as both Funny Farm stamp cards on the previous post.
Take a clean blending foam, get a little bit of Distress Micro Glaze on it, and blend it into the foam on the Glass Media Mat.
Apply it to some Distress Mixed Media Heavystock through a layering stencil. I used the Flames THS091 Layering Stencil on this card.
Put some Distress Oxide colors on the Nonstick Mat portion of the Glass Media Mat. Spritz with water until it beads up.
Apply ink with the Wrinkle-free Distress technique that we have all learned from Tim Holtz, and I know many of us use it often.
Put the paper, microglaze side down into the Oxides,  lift it up, turn it over and dry.
Remember, you get what you get and you don't throw a fit. Do not double dip. Put the paper in the ink once and then dry no matter what it looks like.
Tap the paper into the ink in a few places and dry, continue until you are happy with the look. You can add in a little bit of an additional color like I did here with the Dusty Concord.
This sample for the tutorial has more blue and green than the one on the card because they are all going to turn out a little differently, but that's the fun of playing with ink!  Plus, I think I may have added a touch of Wild Honey to the sample card background now that I'm looking at it, but just have a go at the Micro Glaze Resist Technique. I guarantee it is addicting! You won't want to stop making backgrounds.
I cut Cottontail from some natural color cotton canvas and then colored him with some Dusty Concord Distress Oxide. His bow was colored with Faded Jeans Distress Oxide. Then I stamped over them with the Script THS stamp in Ground Espresso Archival Ink
The sentiment was cut using a new alphabet coming out in April from Tim Holtz in his Chapter 2 release called Label. It is tiny and supposed to look like the raised letters from a label maker.
I tend to keep my cards fairly simple, so they are easy to make and can be duplicated quickly.  I hope this inspires you to try something fun with Mr. Cottontail

Thank you so much for visiting!
Tami

I am an affiliate with Simon Says Stamp and Scrapbook.com so the links below send you to one of those stores depending on which logo you choose.  If you wish to purchase something from either store and use one of my links below, I get a small percentage of your order, at no additional cost to you. This helps me to defray the costs of this blog and the ideas and tutorials I post here, and your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tami, I love the spring colors of this card and that cottontail is adorable! Looking forward to the label alpha, I love alphabet dies! Seeing your cards always makes me want to break out my supplies and make! Thank you for sharing! xxx~Ann

Nancy said...

Love the bunny card; the colors are gorgeous! I am going to try your microglaze technique, it looks fabulous! Thanks for the inspiration and all the great cards from Creativiation; I so appreciate seeing the cards "up close and personal!" Thank you, Tami!

scrappergirl56 said...

I too love Alpha dies...he is so adorable!!! I love what you said, "you get what you get and you don't throw a fit"...LOL...it's just soooo hard to do! I haven't tried this with the Micro Glaze...Yet!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Ann! You are going to love this Label alpha. But you need those Sidekick adhesive sheets. They are too tiny to glue.
— Tami

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much Nancy! We made most of these samples a few months ago so it’s really fun to finally get to share them. :-) Looking forward to seeing your makes with this technique. I learned it from Tim.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Sherry! I have a hard time with it too! I keep wanting to go back in right away and add more color, but it’s one of Tim’s sayings and each time I do it, I hear him saying it in my head and I force myself to stop. :-) I also try to remember to apply his “get over yourself” advice and learn to accept the little imperfections in my art. Two very good pieces of advice. — Tami

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

How did I miss this one. . Saw on Pinterest and repinned. Love.