Sunday, August 9, 2009

How Oar You? and Happy Camper

I decided I wanted to try and do the new and improved Basic Grey Challenge. They posted this sketch for us to follow for this week. The only rules are that it needs to be a majority of BG product.



Well, somewhere between me printing off the sketch last night and waking up this morning, it took on a life of its own. I ordered a bunch of Cosmo Cricket paper a few months ago and they sent me some fun little packets of paper scraps, ribbon scraps, and a few chipboard elements. I already used the Halloween stuff in a card in an earlier post, but I had a packet left with camping stuff from their Mr. Campy line. I was baffled by this packet as I couldn't think of what kind of card you would give to someone who was going camping. And on top of it, one that uses chipboard oars. Who uses chipboard oars?

I went to bed with this sketch in mind and that packet of goodies (even though I knew it was supposed to be a Basic Grey card, I couldn't get that little packet of CC camping stuff out of my head.) Guess what? Sleeping on a problem sometimes works out! I woke up this morning with a card all worked out that I can give to anyone, anytime!

Here it is!



For the wood grain (it's hard to see in the picture) on the oars, I stamped the black chipboard with clear embossing ink, then embossed with clear embossing powder, then covered with paint and once it was partially dry, I wiped the paint off the embossed areas, leaving the paint in the areas that were raw chipboard. I learned this technique from Tim Holtz, but saw my friend Susan use it on these very same oars on a layout she did.

Now, I have to go back to my room and make a Basic Grey card to fit the challenge so I'm in the running to win some prizes.

Awhile back I also decided to copy an adorable camper that my friend Susan made. When I say copy, I mean! Mine is almost exactly like hers, so click the link and check it out! But I love it.

Here is my Happy Camper birdhouse made with Mr. Campy and a camper birdhouse from Michael's.




Supplies:
Patterned Paper: Cosmo Cricket "Mr. Campy"
Cardstock: Bazzill
Ribbon: Cosmo Cricket
Chipboard: Cosmo Cricket
Font: QK Chicken Noodle (limited edition)
Stamp: Hero Arts Wood Grain
Ink: Ranger Vintage Photo Distress Ink
Paint: Adirondack Paint Dabbers (Espresso and Butternut)