Sunday, August 22, 2021

Skeleton Dance Tribute Ticket

Today is the 92nd anniversary of the release of the Skeleton Dance short so it is appropriate that I post this piece that was inspired by it. I made this Skeleton Dance Ticket as a sample for the Tim Holtz Sizzix Halloween 2021 release. I've been wanting to make a skeleton dance for a long time, but it just hasn't been the right time until Mr. Bones was released. 
If you haven't see the Skeleton Dance before, here is a link to this silly Disney short.
I made a walk through video of this piece explaining how I made it if you prefer that to reading the info under all the step out photos below.


Begin with a Medium Etetera Tag and mark the square end the same as the tag end .

  

Then cut along the lines. This takes several tries and you just have to keep cutting and stay patient.

 

I used my Tonic Scissors to hand cut a circle out of the left over bit of corner to fill in the hole from the tag. The layers we add later on will mostly cover this hole, but I needed something substantial to do the lion's share of the work.

Next I painted the sky and hillside in Black Soot and Hickory Smoke, with a few splatters of Hickory smoke on the sky.

 

To add some texture I roughly spread Grave Texture Paste over the grey part of the ticket.

 

Then I added the wispy clouds and covered the entire piece with a layer of Distress Collage Medium. 

Once that was dry I added some of the grey Distress Crayons around the edges of the ticket and in the sky to give it a kind of foggy look.

To add some texture to the tombstones I used my finger to pounce some Crypt Distress Grit Paste onto them and let them dry.
 I love those flecks of black and the grey/green color this Crypt Paste turns as it dries.
 
 Once I added the tombstones to the ticket, I put more Crypt paste so that it looked like there was dirt around each tombstone and the harsh cut edge was disguised.
  
 I also added a little Crypt Paste to the fences as well and then crumpled them to make them look old and bent.

 

I made the school house into a church by adding one of the little crosses from the tombstone vignette on the top of the spire.

I just love how that grit paste turns into such a cool color!
 
Mr. Bones is a colorize die but he is fairly simple as far as colorize goes. Be sure to check out the Sizzix blog to see how to assemble him.
Adding a bit of Distress Crayon behind the hill vignette add a little bit of depth.
I hope that information was helpful and that you picked up at least one tip you can use in your own makes no matter the topic! 

Thank you so very much for stopping by! I greatly appreciate your support!

Tami

I am an affiliate with Simon Says Stamp and Scrapbook.com so the links below send you to one of those stores depending on which logo you choose.  If you wish to purchase something from either store and use one of my links below, I get a small percentage of your order, at no additional cost to you. This helps me to defray the costs of this blog, the time, the ideas and tutorials I post here. Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

6 comments:

scrappergirl56/Sherry said...

OMG...that Disney Short on the Skeleton Dance was hilarious...they don't make animations like that anymore...love the new paste set as well...

Debbie F. said...

This is such a fun and great piece -- even for someone like me who didn't get the reference/tribute! I really enjoyed seeing it during the live. Thanks so much for sharing how you did it and for the video. Much appreciated.

Marjolijn van Elsberg said...


.Wow i really love your work!!!
And your tutorials are great. I can't wait till all the new things from Tim are available in the Netherlands. Looking forward to play with them.



Redanne said...

Tami, thank you - not just for the fabulous tutorial but for sharing the Disney short, it is years since I watched it last and it was such fun to see again. Your tag is wonderful!!

Erica H said...

So very cool! I thought I was nearly alone in my love for the old Disney shorts. Great tribute to it!

Theresa said...

I spent several enjoyable days making this tag. And of course I had to watch the cartoon fifty times just to giggle. When it's all dry, I will get a photo and post it in Addicts. thanks as always for sharing.