Saturday, February 22, 2020

Idea-ology Potting Shed Garden Tools, Jars, and Pots Tutorial

I wanted to do a tutorial on the jars, pots and gardening tools I made for the Idea-ology Vignette Shrine Potting Shed I made for Tim Holtz Creativation 2020 Idea-ology booth.
I'm just going to address how to get the textures and distressed age look to these pieces in this tutorial.
Begin by applying some of the NEW Translucent Grit Paste to the Idea-ology vials, thimbles and silverware.
I use my finger and apply the grit paste to these pieces by just pouncing it onto each one, then let it dry.
Because the Translucent Grit Paste is new, I wanted to show the difference between the original Grit Paste, which has a white Gesso in it, and the translucent which has a clear gesso. When the Opaque grit paste dries, it stays white. But as the Transluscent Grit Paste dries, it becomes a bit more clear.
Here on the fork you can see how clear it becomes. Now to make the fork look like one of the garden forks used to break up soil, you need to bend the tines.
 I bent the fork tines with some needle-nosed pliers until they resembled a garden fork.
Then I turned the fork around and using the part of the pliers with a blade, I cut the fancy end of the handle off the fork and spoon.
Then I wanted to make some sort of handle on both the fork and spoon , so I got out my Eclectic Elements Craft Thread.
I'm only showing the fork for the following steps, but I did the same things to both the fork and spoon. Put a dab of Distress Collage Medium onto the end of the silverware and then wind some of the Craft Thread onto it. Wipe a little more Collage Medium on the outside of the Thread and let it dry.
They will look something like this. Now we need to make them look like they have been used to garden for decades.
I scribbled some Walnut Stain Distress Crayon onto the silverware and then with a damp finger, I wiped it into and onto the Grit Paste. Doesn't that look like a crustly old potting fork? I love it!! The Translucent Grit Paste allows the metal to shine through, but still allows for great texture too. Fantastic.
Then I hot glued the spoon (trowel) and the fork into a "terra cotta pot" for the final piece. Let's move on to how I aged the Apothecary Vials and Thimbles.
You need a package of Idea-ology Thimbles and Apothecary Bottles.
We are going to paint these, so you may think, well, unlike the silverware, where I didn't want to completely cover the metal, it really won't matter if the Grit Paste is Opaque or Translucent on these pieces. That is true, but I thought you would like to see how they both react with this technique.
Here you can see from L-R, the Translucent, Opaque, Translucent on each painted item.
Now you want to age the paint. You can use various colors of Distress Paint for this, Black Soot, Ground Espresso, or Walnut Stain. Put a drop on your Glass Mat, then water it down.
Paint the piece with the very watered down Distress Paint.
Pat it off leaving just leaving little bits behind in the crevices.
Again, here you can see the difference between the two Grit Pastes.
You may want to add a little bit of mold or moss onto the outside of the jars or pots. I use Distress Crayons for this.
Scribble a bit of Distress Crayon onto the Grit Paste on the raised gritty areas.
Wipe it on with a damp finger. You can make this as subtle or chunky as you want it. Used other colors to add depth and interest. I added Walnut Stain and sometimes a bit of Picket Fence or Rusty Hinge will add some terrific aged color.
Don't these look delightfully grungy?
Before adhering them into the Shrine, I added a bit of green moss from the hobby store. Adding florals was easy too. Pick a few florals from the NEW Field Notes Ephemera and Snippets packs.
I applied a bit of hot glue to the back and then attached a Memo Pin.
When you have the moss in the jars, you can hot glue the flower pin into the jar.
I tied a piece of jute around the lip of the bottles.
I really love how they turned out and think they look like some old concrete or ceramic jars.
My next post will show the entire project with all the elements in place.
 
Thank you so much for stopping by! I appreciate all of your comments and support for my blog. If you would like to ask a question, please use the contact form in the column on the right so that I can respond to you.
Thanks, 
Tami
 
I am an affiliate with Simon Says Stamp and Scrapbook.com so the links below send you to one of those stores depending on which logo you choose.  If you wish to purchase something from either store and use one of my links below, I get a small percentage of your order, at no additional cost to youThis helps me to defray the costs of this blog, the time, the ideas and tutorials I post here. Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

5 comments:

scrappergirl56 said...

Oh Tami, this looks so realistic. Just love all your innovative ideas. Your a "Mrs"Gyver with all the cool hacks...looking forward to the next post...

Nancy said...

Tami, that was a magical transformation for the vials and thimble. I am going to remember this and “borrow” your technique. You are truly clever with the way in which you can manipulate the products! Thanks for the inspiration and for sharing❤️

Gardenrose said...

Love all your projects! Would you ever consider a you tube tutorial for those of us who are crafty impaired? LOL Thanks again!

sarascloset said...

AMAZING tutorial! So happy I ordered the new Distress products! Thank you once again for your tutorial and generous sharing! These are just wonderful details on your garden shed!

pambr said...

Mind blowing!!!