Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Simple Halloween Cards

Here are two simple cards that can be made with some of the new Tim Holtz Sizzix Chapter 3 dies.  It's fun to use the dies in over the top, detailed, crazy fun projects, but it is just as fun to use the same dies on simple cards for friends and that is just what these cards are.
 I made this card for a friend who I know loves the musical Wicked. I usually don't use the witch dies and things, but I knew this use of the witch feet and hat from the Frightful Things die set, would make a light-hearted card for my friend.  In addition to the new cauldron and Frightful Things dies, I added the Alphanumeric Cut Out uppercase font for the sentiment and a Halloween Story Stick from Ideaology. The cauldron is cut from black kraftstock and the feet and hat were cut from Distress Mixed Media Heavystock and layered and colored with Distress Oxides.
 This card was for another friend who loves Disney. I was inspired by the talking skull above the drop in Pirates of the Caribbean at Disneyland, voiced by one of my favorite Disney imagineers, X Atencio. He also wrote the script, the song and designed the original ride.
 I mounted the Skull and Crossbones on one of the Stacked Archway dies that had been embossed in the Brick texture fade. They were both mounted on some kraftstock that had been run through the Lumber 3-D texture fade and colored with Distress inks and oxides.
 The skull and crossbones were cut from some Sizzix Mat Board in cream color and then covered with Distress Gritpaste. Once it was dry I covered with a layer of Distress Collage Medium and then once that was dry I added Walnut Stain, Black Soot, and Peeled Paint Distress Crayon to make the bones look old and weathered.
The sentiment on this card was also cut from the Alphanumeric Cut Out Uppercase. To finish it off, I added the four Ideaology Hardware Heads.

So as you can see these are both simple cards that are very easy to replicate and even to duplicate if you were making invitations for a party of some sort.

I am an affiliate with Simon Says Stamp and Scrapbook.com so the links below send you to one of those stores depending on which logo you choose.  If you wish to purchase something from either store and use one of my links below, I get a small percentage of your order, at no additional cost to you. This helps me to defray the costs of this blog and the ideas and tutorials I post here, and your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!


2 comments:

Susan Stringfellow said...

fantastic! especially the texture on the POTC skull! Love both, but I can hear the second one saying, "dead men tell no tales" :)

sarascloset said...

Oh, these are adorable! I passed on the witch dies because I don't use them typically, either. But this is so whimsical and paired with the cauldron (which I did get) makes for a very fun greeting. Love the skull and cross bones--great idea to add the collage medium over the Grit paste. Duh! Why didn't I think of that?! Two fabulous, witty cards!