Friday, July 12, 2019

Beware - Geo Halloween Take 2

 I thought it would be fun to remake a Halloween card but use different products to see how they work and how much it changes the look of the design. I tried this last Christmas with different papers, but this time I wanted to see how the look would change if I switched Distress Crayons in fall colors  with Distress Oxide Sprays in light, springtime colors.
The card on the right is the one I made using Distress Crayons in fall colors. The blog post with the tutorial to make that card is the previous to this one found here. The card on the left is the one I made using Distress Oxide Sprays in spring colors. I love them both and really enjoyed the different feel the two products gave the cards.
Below I have some step-out photos to show how I made the Oxide card on the left.
This is a second technique for making the Geo Halloween Spider that is a tiny bit different than the technique I posted the other day. I started by applying a piece of Sizzix Permanent adhesive to the back of a piece of smooth black cardstock. Save the release paper when you do this as we will be using it.
 Cut the Geo Halloween spider out of the black cardstock with the adhesive on the back. Then poke the geo part out and remove the adhesive backing, then stick that onto the release paper that you saved.
 Cut a second Geo Halloween spider out of the black metallic kraftstock from the Metallic Jewel Kraftstock pad. Then line it up over the black cardstock spider outline and poke the geometric pieces out and into the spaces in the cardstock outline.
 It should look like this when you are finished. You may need to push a few of the pieces down into the outline so they are flush and secure.
 Place this on a paper towel in a Splatbox and spray it with a nice layer of Distress Resist Spray.
 It looks like this when I am done and then I let it dry clear.
 Turn it over and spray it again.
 Then let the back side dry. That should be enough to hold all the pieces in place.
 Once it is completely dry, spray it with Shaded Lilac Distress Oxide Spray. I move it around over the top of the spider with my finger and let it dry some and then lightly wipe it off so there is just a little on the spider.
 You can see it has kind of a dusty lavender look to it. Later on, to attach it to the card, I put one foam dot near the back of the body, and two near the head. Then attached each of the feet with with a tiny bit of Collage Medium.
 To make the background piece, I cut several spiders from smooth black cardstock and applied them to the background piece of smooth black cardstock with Distress Collage Medium.
 Once the Collage Medium was dry, I wanted to add color by spraying some of the spring color release of Distress Oxide Sprays.
 I sprayed the surface with Dried Marigold, Twisted Citron, and Shaded Lilac. I let it dry some with a heat tool and then gently patted it with a clean, dry cloth.
 This is what it looked like when I was finished.
 I sewed around it and then attached it to a card base that had been sprayed with Shaded Lilac Distress Oxide Spray.
 To make a stage for the spider, I took the Stacked Archway dies and chose the two shown.
 I cut one solid Archway and then arranged the two Archways like this, held them in place with lowtack tape, and then cut the frame.
 I also cut a piece of Crochet from black cardstock. For these pieces I colored the solid archway with Antique Linen, then some Dried Marigold. The crochet was Antique Linen and Pumice Stone.
 The Archway frame I covered with a layer of Distress Crackle Paint Clear and let it dry.
Then I sprayed it with Pumice Stone and Twisted Citron. I let it dry with a heat tool and then used a clean, dry towel to lift off the excess and here is what it looks below.
I love how the Distress Crackle paint and the Oxides look so crackly and cool! The background arch was stamped with some of the amazing cobwebs from the Tangled Webs CMS346.
I cut several pieces of spruce and berries from the Large Funky Festive from the smooth black cardstock and colored the spruce with Pumice Stone, the berry base with Shaded Lilac and the berry top with Antique Linen and a touch for Shaded Lilac.
Below the frame on this card, I added a Crochet piece.
I really love the very different, soft, spooky feel to this card as a complement to the more ominous first card I made.
I hope this blog inspired you to want to experiment with different mediums and have fun discovering the varied looking outcomes.
Tami

I am an affiliate with Simon Says Stamp and Scrapbook.com so the links below send you to one of those stores depending on which logo you choose.  If you wish to purchase something from either store and use one of my links below, I get a small percentage of your order, at no additional cost to you. This helps me to defray the costs of this blog and the ideas and tutorials I post here, and your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!


2 comments:

Nancy said...

I like both of the cards, but for different reasons. The first card that was viewed in the release, has a clean crisp fall look to it. I liked the color choices and the overall texture of the background and the spider is a perfect focus. But the second card with the oxide sprays seems "spookier" and even though the colors were from the spring release, the fogginess from the oxides make it appear spooky, like a dark corner of a basement with spiders making their homes. I love the spiderwebs in the second background! Your tutorials are the best, so clear and understandable! And what a great idea to do the same card in two different mediums, both with spectacular results!

Rea' said...

Who knew a spider could look so pretty !! I don't have geo's but your work certainly temps me to get some... these cards are so awesome ! Thanks for the inspiration :)