Sunday, January 17, 2021

Be Still My Soul - Bloom

I think the Bloom floral die by Tim Holtz and Sizzix is so beautiful that I wanted an equally beautiful way to showcase it. So I made a home decor piece with a beautiful sentiment from one of my favorite hymns. Since I was in college it's been one of my go-to hymns when I am stressed, worried or anxious. If you want to hear it, here is a lovely rendition.
This is a very straight forward project so let's get started. 
I bought a large wood slice from Hobby Lobby, but felt like it was a little too rustic. So I broke out my Picket Fence Distress Stain. I still had this in a dabber top, but the spray stain works the same and you can apply it with a brush so either way it works.
In this shot you can see how dark the bark and edges were so I covered the entire front of the slab and all of the bark on the sides with the stain. I did this twice just to make sure it was white washed and softened.
As you can see from this angle it is so much softer and lighter and I felt like it was perfect that way. 
Cut out many of the die cuts from Distress Watercolor Cardstock. I left them in place and then watercolored them with Victorian Velvet, Tattered Rose, Shabby Shutters, Peeled Paint, Bundled Sage, Pine Needles, and Gathered Twigs Distress Inks and a Water-brush.
Once I was finished watercoloring the pieces, I edged them all with Antique Linen Distress Ink and then I attached them together.
I cut multiples of all of the pieces except the large flower. 
I only cut one of these to make sure it was a focal point.
I placed the leaves in different positions on both sides of the big flower so that they weren't mirrored. I didn't want them to be completely symmetrical, just slightly similar.

For the letters, I cut them all several times from black cardstock and layered them so they would stand out from the background. Then I made some music note paper by stamping the music from Music and Advert stamp set in Hickory Smoke archival ink, and then colored the rest of the paper with Pumice Stone and Hickory Smoke Distress Stain. Then I cut the final top layer of the letters out of it.
You can see some of the music notes here on the letters.
I think the Stretch upper case and lower case dies are a fabulous alphabet. I'm going to use it on many projects in the future!
To finish this piece, I added a few more leaves and cut apart the smaller round leaves and buds to just put a few on each side, then added a retired Fold-up Bow to the center. The Fold-up Bow is retired, but Tim did say it will be making a comeback soon, so keep your eyes peeled if you didn’t get it the first time it was released.

I hope you like this decor piece. It is a wonderful reminder when our souls get fearful and agitated to stop and be still.
Tami

I am an affiliate with Simon Says Stamp and Scrapbook.com so the links below send you to one of those stores depending on which logo you choose.  If you wish to purchase something from either store and use one of my links below, I get a small percentage of your order, at no additional cost to youThis helps me to defray the costs of this blog, the time, the ideas and tutorials I post here. Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

8 comments:

scrappergirl56 said...

What a beautiful and inspiring song...love your home decor version...beautiful Bloom flowers...

Witchkrafting with Kat said...

Really beautiful thank you for sharing how you made it.

Larimore2 said...

BEAUTIFUL!!
And yes; the white stain wash works very well here to give a softened to the bark!!

Cecile said...

Hi! I love the way the Stretch upper and lower case dies look on your project. I see on the Simon Says website that these are to cut only through one piece of cardstock, but your letters look thicker than that. What did you use? BTW, I'm a real novice when it comes to dies. Thanks a lot!

Tamera said...

Cecile, I can’t reply to comments so I don’t know if you will see this. In my post I have a photo of the letters on the wood slice and you can see some are black snd done are the music note paper. I explain below that photo that I cut each letter out of black Cardstock several times snd then glued them together to make the thick letters, finishing with the note paper on top. Hth

Cecile said...

Oh my! I apologize for not having read further about the multiple layers!! It was nice of you to reply with your comment. Thank you very much!!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

I agree with you on this die...can't wait to get it. LOVE that you put this on a wood slab, and love the shape of it. Beautiful.

cmv109 said...

An absolutely beautiful project! Thanks for sharing your process.