Sunday, February 21, 2010

Decorative CD Cases

I like to make CD's to play in the car when we are driving, and sometimes make one for a friend or family member. I found these CD holders on sale recently and thought it would be a fun thing to make and use some of my new Quickutz Travel dies.


First, I covered the CD cases with Crate Paper "Static" collection, which I also got on sale.
Then I stamped on the luggage tag die, then hung it from some ribbon with a mini safety pin.
I couldn't find any affordable ribbon to go with the Static paper, so I made my own using Adirondack Color Wash and some cream gingham ribbon from Bazzill (yep, another sale item!)
The Denim was a little too blue for the paper, as you can see from the sample on the far right, so I filled a mini mister 2/3 full with denim color wash and then spritzed in about 5 shots of the butterscotch colorwash to make it just the right green/blue for the paper.

Then decorated each license plate a little differently. The sign shape in the center of the license plate was made by cutting out the shape with the QK sign die from a piece of Tim Holtz Mask, and then centering it over the license plate and inking it with distress ink.


I can't help it, I had to do some sewing on each one of them, even if it was just a little bit. This was a really fun little project and I'm looking forward to making a few more!

Supplies:
Crate Paper - Static
Adirondack Color Wash
Bazzill Ribbon
QuicKutz:
license plate CC-SHAPE-078-1
road sign RS-0992
license plate mini 4x8 alphabet 4X8-LICPLATE-M

4 comments:

lalalla said...

cool idea! greetings from Poland!

Susan Stringfellow said...

beautiful ribbons - and I have those colors too. Thanks for reminding me to use them

Laurie Zeller said...

What an awesome idea! Very cute!!

nancyburke said...

I LOVE how you did the ribbon different colors by misting them. I will have to remember that trick. These are just really fun CD cases!