Friday, May 22, 2020

Summer Funky Wreath Candle Holder Centerpiece

Summer is almost upon us and I have a happy little summer decor piece to share today. I posted previously about how I made the Decor Frame banner in this photo, but today I wanted to focus on the votive centerpiece.
This summery, floral candle wreath was inspired by a vintage seed packet I got in one of Paula Cheney's project kits last year. I saved it because I like the warm floral colors, so decided to use them as the inspiration for this project.
To begin, I needed a base for my centerpiece. This was made by cutting multiple wood slices from chipboard using the Tree Rings Bigz die. It is a steel rule die so it will cut through chipboard. The larger middle Tree Ring on this project has 6 chipboard layers, while the smaller two have 4 (L) and 2(R).
Adhere the slices on top of each other to form thick slices of wood. You can paint the edges and then add Distress Crayon to make them look more like rough wood bark. You could also add Distress Grit Paste or Distress Crackle Paste to add some additional texture. I wanted this layered bark texture for this project.
The top of the slices are the Tree Rings cut from Distress Mixed Media Heavystock. Emboss them by running them both though the texture fade that is included with the die. I colored them with Distress Stains, then adhered them to the tops of the wood slices.
Back to this photo. I cut a piece of heavy cardstock to fit underneath all three Tree Rings. then adhered them to the heavystock and to each other where they were touching on the side. I used Distress Collage Medium to do this, so I let them dry overnight. When they were completely dry I could pick them up as one piece. Now it is time to decorate.
On each end I added the four little twigs that are part of the Funky Wreaths die set. I cut them from Woodgrain Cardstock and attached them to the outside edge of both of the smaller Tree Rings. Then I added some of the foilage from Funky Foliage. I cut these from Distress Heavystock and then colored each one before adhering it. I stayed with the color scheme on the vintage seed packed I posted earlier.
Here you can see another vantage point for the end bits that have flowers, leaves and the twigs.
For the larger center Tree Ring, I first attached the twig Funky Wreath and the little extra twigs.
 I cut the wreath and the twigs from some Distress Woodgrain Cardstock. I have some Distress Paint wiped lightly over the high points of the woodgrain and then sprayed it with Distress Spray Stain in browns.
 I ran it through the Vagabond 2 with the Chrome Precision Plate.
 I attached the wreath to the larger of the two Tree Ring Bigz die cuts. This became mainly a place holder with twigs popping out here and there, because the wreath became covered up very quickly on this project.
If you look in this photo you can see the wreath under there. Once it was in place I began to tuck flowers and leaves from the Funky Foliage set in and among the twigs.
I really like the warm spark of color from this little centerpiece.  It a nice little bit of summer decor.

I hope this inspires you to bring some warm summer colors into your decor to brighten up your home.
Tami

I am an affiliate with Simon Says Stamp and Scrapbook.com so the links below send you to one of those stores depending on which logo you choose.  If you wish to purchase something from either store and use one of my links below, I get a small percentage of your order, at no additional cost to youThis helps me to defray the costs of this blog, the time, the ideas and tutorials I post here. Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

1 comment:

Paula Cheney said...

Tami, this is such a clever idea! I would have never thought of this! I just love the colors of the papers you used to make the power wreath too!