Saturday, May 19, 2018

A Sprig of Myrtle for a Royal Wedding

I spent this week making some things to prepare for the Royal Wedding. I was just planning a little tea here at home with the possibility of my mom joining me for the all night festivities, and then expecting my husband and father to clean up the remainders the when they woke up Saturday morning.
Regardless, sometimes I like to go all out for a celebration and since this is the last of the royal weddings for this generation, I decided to prep all week.

One thin I wanted to make was something to put on the tea table while we were watching that symbolized things from the wedding, so I settled on a Medium Etcetera tag and titled it A Sprig of Myrtle.
I included a piece of antique lace from my grandmother and layered some Funky Floral 3 and Funky Floral 2 die cuts on top to try and make it look like a sprig of myrtle.  In my study of royal bouquets, I learned that the brides all carry a bouquet with a sprig of myrtle from Queen Victoria's myrtle tree. I also learned that royal brides usually have some sort of lace, on their dress or veil so that's where the lace came in.
I added the cross from the Ideaology Milagros Adornments, because it looks like the one the royals wear on their sashes and on the military uniforms and I saw in the ceremony that Prince Harry did indeed have a cross much like this on his uniform.  I added the heart from the Ideaology Treasure Adornments with it and the phrase Trust Your Heart from Ideaology Quote Chips, because I felt like that is what they were doing. They were both stepping out of tradition and trusting their hearts.
The center focal point is a piece of Correspondence Paper, an Ideaology Baseboard Frame, with a Vignette Accent on the top and the wedding couple Paper Dolls.
The background was made with clear texture paste and Distress Resist Spray over the plain tag, then I painted it with Distress paint and wiped the paint off the raised areas. I covered the whole tag with Distress Collage Medium and then added some sparkle (it was tough to photograph!) with Tarnished Brass Distress Crayon. I just love how it turned out!
Here is the dried clear Texture Paste through the Tim Holtz Stampers Anonymous Flourish Stencil THS032 pictured on the left and then with the Distress Resist Spray on the right. It was after this step that I painted over it and wiped away the paint from the raised areas.

Here is where it sat on the tea table during the festivities today.
I also used Tim Holtz Stampers Anonymous From London to Paris stamp set to make Union Jack napkins by stamping it on them in Distress Paint.
I also used some Cut and Dry Felt to make a custom stamp pad so I could stmp a bunch of Union Jacks on Distress Mixed Media Heavystock to make the small bunting above the TV. I ordered the large triangle bunting from a UK Import store.
Here is the napkin. I also used some silicon molds and royal icing mix from Sugar Veil to make the floating heart doilies.


I sent some tea, edible doilies, a napkin and bunting to my cousin and included this card with all the goodies.
Supplies Used:
Ranger Distress Inks
Ranger Tarnished Brass Distress Stain
Distress Mixed Media Hardstock
*
Stampers Anonymous Stamps Used:
Royal Script CMS016
Paris to London CMS160
SA Classics SCF013






I have a box of leftovers from designing for Creativation, that just didn’t make the cut. I decided not to use them at the time for various reasons...color scheme, a little mess-up, or a design flaw I couldn’t fix. Although I may not have liked them back then, I saved all the scraps, odds and ends, and the “meh” designs anyway.
Last year I got rid of all my scraps, but decided to save them this year.
And I’m glad I did because this piece was practically finished and it came in handy tonight as a quick note card. I’m giving it to a friend along with some loose tea samples so she can taste test them with her daughter during the Royal Wedding.
Supplies:
Ranger Distress Ink
Tarnished Brass Distress Stain
Distress Mixed Media Cardstock
Ideaology paper

Sizzix Alterations:
Mixed Media 5
Shadow Script 1
The Tarnished Brass Distress Stain is hard to photograph but it's on the word love and on the gold trim.
We have cleaned up from the all night tea, and are prepping the sandwiches and Unforgettable Cream Wafer cookies for this afternoon. And then I think we will call all this royal wedding celebration a wrap and return to real life. It's be a delightful week and a delightful diversion.

2 comments:

Beulah Bee said...

I really enjoyed your post and the centerpiece you made is so lovely (along with that pretty little teapot). I too, watched the ceremony (it was my first as I had never bothered before now) because as you said, it might be a very long while before the next one.

Susan Stringfellow said...

just all so perfectly beautiful and thoughtful. I had a wonderful time watching with my friends but I so wish I could have been there with you and your mom.
I am wishing for video tutorials for everything you do because that background is incredible and I only kind of followed what you were saying. Partly because I am not familiar with all of the products. I will have to look into getting some of those things.