Friday, October 23, 2020

When two Holidays Collide.....

What's This? What's This? There's color everywhere!  If it wasn't obvious, I was inspired by the Haunted Mansion Holiday overlay at Disneyland that is based around the movie The Nightmare Before Christmas. The Toyland bag and Gift Wrap dies were the kickoff point for this piece and then it just expanded from there.
Begin by painting the Ideaology Coffin Vignette and the 2nd largest Vignette Box with Black Soot Distress Paint.
Then emboss some Heavystock using the 3D Engraved Texture Fade and the Cracked 3D texture fade.
Cut the 3D Engraved piece into strips to fit around the outside of the box. Adhere them with Distress Collage Medium. On this make I used the backside of the engraved pieces, not the puffy side.
Then I attached the cracked piece to the top of the Vignette Box. Use a bone folder or some of other similar item to press the edges down all the way around to make it not as obvious that there is an edge there.

It should look like this when you are finished and then I painted it black again.
Once it is dry, put a little bit of Hickory Smoke Distress Paint on the nonstick mat, and get a little on your finger.
Then lightly rub some Hickory Smoke paint onto just the raised areas to highlight the carved features. The color scheme is also very cartoony and goes well with the Nightmare theme.
Next, I added the same engraved strips all along the outside of the coffin, and I drybrushed some Hickory Smoke inside the coffin to lighten the Black Soot and so it blended a little better with the outside.                                                                                     
In the back I put some of the Snowscape background but cut in grey and black  and layered. Lastly I added the moon, bats and gates from Gatekeeper.

I grabbed two pieces of Idea-ology Worn Wallpaper, and altered them a little. I painted the centers of these poinsettias with Wild Honey Distress Ink. Then I sprayed the entire piece with Pumice Stone to try and make the diamond pattern a little less apparent.
I also sprayed this candle Worn Wallpaper with Pumice Stone Distress Stain. I wanted the darker color on both wall papers for making a quilt.

I cut both pieces into different sizes and then pieced them together on the back of the coffin with Distress Collage Medium. Once it was all covered, I cut a bunch of the little X stitches from Toyland and put them all over the seams

For the packages on the back, I had some papers that I had colored in a practice session with inks, stamps, stencils, etc. I used several to cut the packages and the ribbons. I cut all of the greenery from the Winter Wardrobe set, but out of black cardstock instead of green , and I cut the berries from some Heavystock colored with Distress Crackling Campfire.

Here you can see how the back of the coffin looks when it is finished. This was made as a nod to Sally and her patchwork dress.

I put all of the die pieces together before I started adding them to the coffin. Once I got the basics finished I was able to see what bits I wanted to change or add in the final,
Here you can see some greenery cut from black with Crackling Campfire berries.  I tucked the presents from Gift Wrap behind the Toyland Bag.
This back was cut from Heavystock that I had stamped and colored with Distress Peeled Paint colors and stamped with the Linen stamp to give it a little Ooogie Boogie vibe. To make the gifts a little scary since Jack's presents were scary too. The FANGS for the bear and the snake are just the last stripe on the candy cane. You only need the very tip. The eyes are the stitches instead of the ones that come with the die. I used the eyes from the bear to make the eyes on the snake, which is made from two candy canes in black and orange (like the snake in the attic in Haunted Mansion Holiday) The second candy cane I cut in half and suck part on one side of the bear and then I hand cut the rest of the cane into a tail shape and put it to the right of the bear so it looks like the snake is throughout the bag and not just poking out one side.
To make Jack, I cut out the male Day of the Dead skeleton and just colored his outfit like a Santa Suit. I also trimmed off the sombrero and attached a santa hat from Winter Wardrobe. Then I popped some greenery in his hand where the neck of the guitar would go.
In the top of the coffin I just arranged the rest of the packages and tucked greenry here and there to add interest.

Here you can see the other side of in the right. Again these were all practice backgrounds that I had made after some of Tim's Saturday demos. At this point I was finished with this pieces and sent it to Tim. He got it and asked if he could make one little change that kicked it up a notch to awesome!

He added the purple Idea-ology Halloween Tiny Lights. Genius! It was the perfect final touch that just made it perfectly fit the Haunted Mansion Holiday inspiration. Thanks Tim!

That's it. There really isn't a technique here, just have fun altering some dies and adding fun little touches to make a scene.



Tami I am an affiliate with Simon Says Stamp and Scrapbook.com so the links below send you to one of those stores depending on which logo you choose. If you wish to purchase something from either store and use one of my links below, I get a small percentage of your order, at no additional cost to you. This helps me to defray the costs of this blog, the time, the ideas and tutorials I post here. Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

5 comments:

Erica H said...

This is so clever and creative!

Theresa said...

This is one of my
Favorite things that Tim Holtz showed!!! It is so creative!! Thanks for sharing the HOW TO!!!

Schelie H. said...

I am 99% done with my version of this amazing creation you made. You are so talented and creative. I wish I had seen this post before I was almost done. Would have saved alot of headaches. You are a superhero and thank you so much for sharing.

Juli Riedel said...

Tami, your creativity knows no boundaries! I love, love this and it is truly my favorite! A Wonderful tutorial and I'm inspired to make one! This can be left up starting in October through December! Well done girlie!!!!!

Maureen Reiss said...

This is Absolutely Amazing!!! It's mind boggling how creative you are!!!