Friday, September 6, 2019

I Put a Spell on You - Monster Reunion

You know I love a good shifter stencil and this Shifter Rays stencil is cool. It works a little differently than the other shifters, so I hope my step out photos help explain this properly. Let's give it a try shall we?
 To begin, this is a variation of the Archival Resist Technique that I posted on a few previous cards. That being said, you still need the Alcohol Ink CARDSTOCK  (not Yupo!) for this technique to work properly.
 I held the Alcohol Ink Cardstock in place with Sizzix Sticky Grid. Then held the large Shifter Rays stencil in place with some Washi Tape so I could lift it to check coverage as seen below.
 With this technique I applied the Hickory Smoke Archival Ink with a Blending Tool. I did not apply it in a circular motion, but rather, went in the direction of the rays.
 When one side was complete, I did the opposite side. Now you can see where I have the poker pointing to the center that the rays are not going to line up perfectly. That really isn't going to matter in the end. Just get it as close as possible.
 When it comes to the shifting on this stencil, you can't just move it down like you do with the other stencils. if you look at the picture above, this was the best I could do trying to just move it down. It's obvious that this is not going to work.
 You need to flip it over and upside down and you can see how now it lines up. If you look at the number I'm pointing to in the top right hand corner, you can see it is upside down and turned over. You can also see the lower arrow pointing to how it is lined up.  Also note that there is a thin line on the sides of the rays that is also masked. That is important to this technique.
 I applied the Dusty Concord Distress Archival to the paper on the right side and then turned and flipped the stencil for the other side.
 You can see that I used the blending tool to apply the Archival Ink. Again, do this with the rays and not in the usual circular motion.
 This is what it looks like once both sides are done. You can see it isn't perfect in the center and that won't show when we are done so don't worry.  Ok now for the resist part of the technique.  I wanted a dark background, so I applied my Distress Ink direct to paper from the ink pad, and I used Black Soot Distress Ink. This ink will color any parts left that are still white.
 Here is what it looked like once the black soot was on the paper. Then I used a clean dry cloth and wiped away and excess Distress Ink revealing the purple and grey Archival below.
This is the final result.  So cool! I love it!
Now I wanted to add something to the background that went with the spell on you sentiment that went with the stamp I was using. So I gathered the Hocus Pocus stencil, transparent texture paste and fine detail silver embossing powder.
I lined up the large Hocus Pocus stencil in the center of the background and secured it.
Then applied a thin layer of transparent texture paste through it.
When you lift the stencil off, this is what it looks like. It becomes transparent once it dries.
While it is still wet, sprinkle the silver embossing powder over it so that it sticks to the texture paste.
Let it dry and then heat it with a heat tool. If you dried it before it is dry it will bubble.
And there is a cool background!
I stamped the image on Distress Mixed Media Heavystock and then watercolored it. After I trimmed it I double matted it with Metallic Kraftstock in black and red and added some messy stitching.  The stars, image and sentiment all cover and weird areas in the background that might have been worrisome when looking at it without all the layers.
I hope you enjoy this different take on the Archival Resist Technique.  It's not just for stamps!
Tami

I am an affiliate with Simon Says Stamp and Scrapbook.com so the links below send you to one of those stores depending on which logo you choose.  If you wish to purchase something from either store and use one of my links below, I get a small percentage of your order, at no additional cost to you. This helps me to defray the costs of this blog, the time, the ideas and tutorials I post here. Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

2 comments:

scrappergirl56 said...

She looks marvelous on the star-studded shifty background!

Nancy said...

Thanks for the great tutorial regarding the stencil and the resist technique, it looks great! Your card is perfect; the focal point is a great addition to the gorgeous background, love the stitching, too. Thanks, Tami!