Sunday, August 25, 2019

Repose-itory Part 4 - Crackle Background Technique

 For the final technique of this piece, I was asked by several people if I would explain how I got the texture on the background on this piece.  So I added one last post.
The texture on all the parts of this project are thanks to Ranger Opaque Crackle Texture Paste. I think I slathered it on the entire project. LOL! And Distress Crayons -- MAGIC!
 I didn't take any step out photos while I was making this piece because I didn't want to interrupt my creative mojo. I just wanted to make. So to show the technique, I'm making a #8 Etcetera Tag in much the same way with some of the new Halloween Etcetera Trim.
You start by drawing the outline of the tag on the back of the paper you are going to use. I picked a piece of Ideaology paper from my scraps bin.
 Then adhere it to the Etcetera tag with Distress Collage Medium.
 Sand off any edges that extend past the tag edge,
 Now to start the magic part.
 Using a palette knife, spread the crackle texture paste on the corners of the tag, the reinforcer, and the bat and one of the straight pieces of Halloween Etcetera Trim.
 When it dries, it crackles like this. Awesome right?  I love it!
 There are usually some bits and pieces that hang over the edge, so I sand them off.
It needs sealed so this next step is important.
  Brush on a layer of Vintage Collage Medium over all the pieces that have the paper and crackle.
 Then rub it in with your fingers to smooth the surface.
 The next few steps will vary depending on how heavily you add layers of Distress Crayon.  Start by scribbling some Walnut Stain Distress Crayon over the edges of the tag and the trims.
 Use your fingers to spread it around and work it into the cracks.
 Add more color if desired.
 Then scribble some Black Soot Distress Crayon right along the edges.
 Smooth it in and all over the tag and trims.
Attach the reinforcer over the hole at the top and layer the trims with the crackled piece on top, then the plain piece then the bat piece on the bottom. It can be adhered to the tag as soon as you decided what you want to put on it so you know how high or how low you need to place it.
This crackle texture can be dark and grungy as it is here or it can be equally light and beautifully shabby. I have used it both ways and for many different looks that are in between.  Just practice with it and try different things. It's quite forgiving and once the crackle is sealed with the Collage Medium, if you get it a little too dark or heavy handed with the crayons, it's no problem, they lighten with the tiniest bit of water, or can be erased with a damp cloth or baby wipe so you can start all over.

I hope that answered the questions regarding the crackle texture. And with that I will be moving on to several other projects just waiting for their chance at the spotlight.
I'm always grateful for those of you who stop by and especially for those who take the time to leave a comment. I read every one even if I can't respond. And please don't forget that you are welcome to contact me through the form in the right column.
Tami

I am an affiliate with Simon Says Stamp and Scrapbook.com so the links below send you to one of those stores depending on which logo you choose.  If you wish to purchase something from either store and use one of my links below, I get a small percentage of your order, at no additional cost to you. This helps me to defray the costs of this blog, the time, the ideas and tutorials I post here. Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

10 comments:

Lynda said...

Thanks so much for that, very useful! I'm off to have a go. Xxx

Freddie Bubblescrap Sleijpen said...

I love how generous you are with your knowledge and talent. Am in utter awe xox

Nancy said...

So love that texture! Thanks for the hints and tutorial!

babs55 said...

Thanks for taking the time to share with us, you are so talented!

ann barnes said...

Ohhhh thank you so very much, I see this coming to a tag in my future! You are super talented! I am so very grateful that you are willing to share your design step outs! xxxx

Christina said...

WoW Tami. Thnx for sharing this amazing technique. Your creativity amazes me. xxx

Beth said...

The texture is amazing! Thanks for sharing the technique!

~~Beth B

Denise Costa said...

Awesome job on the tutorial
I am not sure why but the crackle paste scares me.
You make it look so easy!
Thanks again for sharing the series of instruction on this great piece
Denise

Anonymous said...

This was a really cool tutorial - i love, LOVE your work and you make crackle paste look so effortless. Question.. what do you seal the crackle with after you ink it if you want the inks and crayons to be waterproof? I'm using it on a wood project that i want to hand down to my son. Any of your experience would be appreciated.. thanks, stephanie:)

Cheri S said...

thank you for taking the time to redo a tag and show us the steps for this technique. It was much appreciated.