Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Cemetery Friends - Halloween Ideaology 2019

 This week marks the 50th anniversary of when the 999 Happy Haunts materialized at Disneyland's Haunted Mansion. It was a project that had been in the works for years. The amazing mansion was moved into the park but just sat empty, leaving guests to imagine what it would be and when it would open. To celebrate this auspicious anniversary I will be posting several projects this month that are inspired by things here and there from Disneyland's Haunted Mansion. This piece, using Tim Holtz existing and new Halloween Ideaology is the first.
 I started with a base of a small Vignette Tray, painted the inside and outside with Black Soot Distress Paint and then covered the back panel with a piece of the black chippy paper from the new Halloween Paper Pack. I covered the edge of the tray with some of the new Halloween Design Tape. Two corners are covered with these amazing metal decorative corners in the Halloween Adornments pack.

I needed it to have a feeling of the Graveyard Scene from the ride, so I cut one of the branches from the Sizzix Branches die out of chipboard and Woodgrain Cardstock. Then glued some pieces of Spanish Moss onto the branch before attaching it.
 I love these Ring Fasteners for Halloween. They are fabulous. I wanted them to look like they are part of a mausoleum, so I fastened them through a brick wall made of Distress Grit Paste. Then tied some dyed Mummy Cloth through the rings to represent Victorian custom of draping things with black cloth when mourning.
 The outside of the mausoleum is one of the new Halloween Layers Baseboard Frames.  These frames are really so cool and will be fabulous for using throughout the year, so you aren't limited to using them only at Halloween at all.

This lady is my favorite new paper doll!  I love her. She totally reminds me of the lady in the Haunted Mansion Graveyard scene who is sitting in a swing.  That is the scene from which I drew my inspiration. When I'm creating with Ideaology, it's different for me than with stamps or die cuts. I need to have a story or I get stuck. It can be a simple story, but it must be a story in my mind or I just sit and stare. Sometimes the story I begin with takes shape and changes as I create and that is a bit of what happened here.

When I started looking for the Clippings Stickers, trying to find some that would tell her story, I was surprised at how her story developed. It turned into her being a young woman who goes to the cemetery and finds solace sitting among the tombstones. She kind of loathes herself for it and for the fact that sadly, she finds friendship only among the dead.
 I already detailed how I made the dead funeral arrangement. As you can see I filled in the bottom with moss. It comes in two greens and a white color at my Hobby Lobby. I color it with my Distress Stains. This moss was the white moss and I sprayed it with some Pumice Stone Distress Spray stain.
 The tutorials for making this Urn and the dead Floral Arrangement are on the two posts prior to this one. If look carefully you can see part of one of the metal gates behind the urn.
 This little corner was easy enough. I put some of the Remnant Rubs on the Tombstone and then aged with with some watered down Black Soot and Ground Espresso Paint, just like I did on the urn.
The Fence got a layer of Distress Grit Paste tapped on it, then painted black and sealed with Distress Collage Medium. I added a little rust and moss by putting a tiny bit of Peeled Paint and Rusty Hinge Distress Crayon in a couple of areas.  I broke a small piece off to go in this corner and used the rest on the other side back behind the urn. Just in case someone looked back there.
Although it ended up taking a bit of a different direction than I had originally planned, I really love how the piece came together once it was finished. I had an absolute blast working on this and I hope you find something in this piece that inspires you to have a blast creating your own Vignette.
Tami

I am an affiliate with Simon Says Stamp and Scrapbook.com so the links below send you to one of those stores depending on which logo you choose. If you wish to purchase something from either store and use one of my links below, I get a small percentage of your order, at no additional cost to you. This helps me to defray the costs of this blog and the ideas and tutorials I post here, and your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

3 comments:

scrappergirl56 said...

Thank you for giving us a fabulous tutorial...looking forward to making my version...

Kari said...

I love all your creations and this one is fabulous.

paprfran said...

Tami: what a fabulous piece. You have a story to develop your art and we who admire your art develop a story. Amazing work!