Monday, August 12, 2019

Weird Science - Vintage Stamped Metallic Embossing

Weird Science is a really cool steam punk anatomy set of stamps. Although part of the 2019 Halloween stamp release by Tim Holtz and Stampers Anonymous, it can be used all year round.
I decided to pull out one of my favorite techniques for this card, the Vintage Stamped Metallic Embossing.  I've done this on at least one card a year but usually on the Ideaology Gold and Silver Metallic Kraftstock. This time I wanted to try the Copper Kraftstock from the Ideaolgy Metallic 2 Stash that has Copper and Rose Gold Kraftstock.
Originally I planned to use this Inventor 7 set and went so far as to cut my stamp in half so I could make sure that the gears showed all around the outside of my card base.
I cut my card base and arranged the two separate gears on my stamping platform.
Then I stamped the image on both sides of the card base, in Black Soot Archival Ink.
I covered it in Liquid Platinum Super Fine Embossing Powder and then heat embossed it.
This is what it looked like once it was embossed onto the copper metallic paper. I liked the two different metals because I wanted them to go with the different colors I used on the gears when I colored the stamps. Also because I wanted to kind of mimic the steampunk feel of different metallic finishes in a piece.
I scribbled over the center of the card with Walnut Stain Distress Crayon. You could also use Ground Espresso, it just needs to be a brown color.
Then scribble around the outside edge with the Black Soot Distress Crayon.
Using your finger right away start rubbing the crayon into the depressions.
My fingers get really sore, so I tend to use several fingers to finish the entire card before I'm finished.
Then take a clean, dry cloth and buff off the excess crayon from the raised, embossed areas. Don't push too hard as you want it to remain in the crevices and between the embossing.
This kind of shows the metallic finishes and the grungy look the crayons leave as well as how they highlight the details of the stamp.
At this point, I absolutely loved the large gear background with the Inventor 7 stamp. But I got to thinking, what if someone purchases this set but doesn't have Inventor 7? So I decided to make a different background using just this gear stamp from the Weird Science set. I stamped it repeatedly around the background the same way as the Inventor stamp and embossed it the same way.
Added the same Walnut Stain Distress Crayon...
...and Black Soot Crayon around the edges....
And this was the outcome. I really am happy with how it turned out! The rib cage stamp was just watercolored on Distress Mixed Media Heavystock. There is a border stamp in the Weird Science set that I stamped and embossed on black cardstock with the same Liquid Platinum embossing powder. The sentiment is from the new Life of the Party stamp set.

If you changed the sentiment, you could use this any time of year and for any occasion.
Thanks again for taking the time to visit my blog!
Tami

I am an affiliate with Simon Says Stamp and Scrapbook.com so the links below send you to one of those stores depending on which logo you choose. If you wish to purchase something from either store and use one of my links below, I get a small percentage of your order, at no additional cost to you. This helps me to defray the costs of this blog and the ideas and tutorials I post here, and your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you! 


1 comment:

Freddie Bubblescrap Sleijpen said...

This technique is the bomb Tami! I love this look. You are so clever!