Monday, October 20, 2014

Plaza Inn Chicken Dinner

This layout uses the Bo Bunny Madeleine collection and was for the design team at my LSS.

It is based on Susan Stringfellow sketch done for Basic Grey.

I felt this part of the paper line went really well with the beautiful Plaza Inn in Disneyland. The colors and birdcages worked perfectly. 

I did do some fussy cutting of birds for the second page and I added some leaves cut from a Tim Holtz greenery die.

This was a very simple layout. No techniques, sorry.

Sunday, October 19, 2014

Haunted Mansion - True Love

A design team assignment to make a layout using Bo Bunny Madeleine Collection.

For some reason I was feeling the Haunted Mansion from part of this collection, so I went with it.  Sometimes you can't fight it and just have to go with it.

I based this on a favorite Sketch Savvy Sketch #15

 The A True Love Story Never Ends sticker with this theme totally cracked me up! For those of you who don't know, there are kind of two stories going on in the Haunted Mansion and one of them included Constance Hatchaway.  She is the black widow bride who kills off all her husbands. She haunts the attic with wedding pictures of herself with all her different husbands.

 I've shown this flower technique on my blog many times.  this was just a variation so I could use an acrylic flower center.
 Fill a mini mister with water.  I punched several flowers from grey cardstock.  Then spritz the cardstock.  You want it moist, but not soaking wet.
 Crinkle the flowers up as much as you can. Really scrunch em up!
 Uncrinkle and dry with a heat gun.  This really crinckles them again. I also use this time to kind of shape them and crinkle any spots I missed.
 Layer and attach them together.  I attached the smallest flower to the back of the acrylic flower.
 Then I smooshed it up around the edges.  This is a very technical tutorial. LOL!
 Finally attach it to the center.  Then I lightly spritzed again and reshaped the petals one last time as I dried it for added shape and texture.

That's it!  Easy, right?

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Disney Bears Mini Book

 I got a design team assignment to make a layout or mini book with a 6x6 paper packet and embellishment packet from Kaiser Craft called Teddy Bears Picnic Collection.  It is a very cute collection, but I have no kids and no stuffed bears so this was certainly a challenge.
I looked at it and thought about it and came up with a plan to scrap a bunch of pictures I have taken with Disney Bears over the years.  It took me a lot longer than I thought it would, but I am very please with how it turned out.  In fact, I pretty much LOVE it!

I used a lot of Tim Holtz dies throughout the book (I'll list them at the end) as well as adding some American Crafts paper backed burlap.

 For these pages, and you will see two styles in this book, I used two of Tim's Bigz dies and they are half page inserts in shapes.  I really love how they break up the 6x6 size and add a little interest.

I used the following to make this book:
sewing machine
6x6 black chipboard
kraft paper
scalloped deco scissors (that's right, you heard me! Deco scissors!)
6x6 Teddy Bears Picnic Collection - Kaiser Craft
Teddy Bears Picnic Collectibles Pack
Tim Holtz Alterations Movers and Shapers Cameo Frame
Tim Holtz Alterations Bigz Dies Tattered Pine Cone
Tim Holtz Alterations Tattered Florals
Tim Holtz Alterations Movers and Shapers Ticket
Tim Holtz Alterations Decorative Strip Festive Greenery
Pebbles Jen Hadfield Home + Handmade Die cutting set

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

BTR Bar B Que - Disneyland

This is another layout using the Basic Grey Herbs and Honey paper. White I was looking for some farmer's market type pictures I ran across a few photos fromthe Big Thunder Ranch BBQ from October of 2010 that I hadn't scrapped.  Perfect!

Next I set about trying to decide what layout would best fit the photos and the paper I had.  I did have plenty of 12x12 but also had a bunch of 4x6 cards that I needed to use, so I decided that this sketch by Susan Stringfellow for Basic Grey would be perfect. It allowed me to use a lot of the different patterns from the 4x6 paper.

For the embellishments I used DCWV corrugated paper and cut them out with Sizzix flower dies by Brenda Walton.

 I stamped the background paper with a Tim Holtz stamp that mimicked chicken wire.
 The center of the flowers needed something, so I punched 1/2" circles out of the corners of a frame sticker and attached them to some flat brads, then covered with Glossy Accents for some shine.  Homemade decorative brads in no time!
 And true to form, my sweet shadow was right next to me as I photographed, giving himself a bath.