Saturday, August 24, 2019

Repose-itory Part 3 - Til Death Do Us Part

Today is part 3 of the Reposeitory project. I wanted to focus on how to make the wedding portrait and the crystal ball. Both are things found in Disney's Haunted Mansion and since I was inspired by the attic scene when making this piece, I had to add a wedding portrait.  In mine, the husband has his head, but in the portraits in the Haunted Mansion attic, the husband's heads all disappear. Also, the crystal ball with Madame Leota's head is big part of the mansion storyline, so I added one with a ghostly twist.
For the portrait frame, mantle and window frames I used Distress Woodgrain Cardstock and colored it with Pumice Stone and Hickory Smoke and added a few touches of Walnut Stain and Black Soot. I colored a large piece 8.5x11 or you could color several small pieces.
The frame was fairly simple to make but making the photo look old took a few steps.
With a small piece of the wood grain. You want the grain to run vertically for this. Use the second smallest Stacked Label die and the smalled Stitched Oval die.  Line them up like this, tape them down with removable tape, and cut.
This decorative piece goes at the top of the Window Frame, but I thought it would be good to tie the portrait frame in with the other pieces so I cut one decorative piece for the top of the portrait frame.
Again, make sure that the grain is vertical.
I cut the ghosts on this piece out of a mottled (I'm not sure how else to describe it) piece of vellum. I found that they cut through the vellum better if you cut them out on the chrome precision plate.
I also cut some accessories from the Hip Haunts die set.
You need to cut a background piece out of something dark. For the original I used a piece of dark brown stripe from the Dapper Paper Stash. This one is a dark pattern from one of the stashes, I'm not sure which. It was in my scraps. Cut the arms off the one ghost that has the arms in the air. Make sure that they fit properly within the oval on the frame. Also make sure the mustache and bow tie have more color to them. I used a little Distress Ink on a blending tool and it wasn't dark enough on this version.
Put a nice layer of Collage Medium on the paper and then adhere the ghosts into it.
Once that is dry, put a layer of Distress Crackle Paint over it and let it dry so it will crackle. If you used a heat tool it doesn't crackle as well. I got impatient on this sample and you can see it didn't crackle as well as the original.
Once the Crackle Paint has dried and crackled, scribble some dark brown Distress Crayon on it.
Rub the crayon in with a very slightly damp finger.
Then adhere the frame on top and add the little decor piece at the top.
Here you can see on the original that the crackle really showed. I also left more Distress Crayon around the edges where the oval was to go.
Now for the crystal ball. There are two options for making it so it fits within this design. First you can cut a small base and an outer ring as seen above and then a large base by cutting just the large circle again. I cut these from very thin vellum.
Here is the small base on the left, and the large base with the ring on the right.
Cut the arms off the ghost again.
Position the face of the ghost behind the vellum. Peel the adhesive ring off the Dimensional Dome and adhere it to the larger base.
I adhered the vellum ring around the outside edge of the dome with Distress Collage Medium and then trimmed around it so the excess clear part  of the dome didn't show. You can see where to trim.
This is how it looks with the ring around it and the base.
For the other type of dome, which is the one I used on this project, I put the base on the dome and I made a cut on each side of the base as see above.
Then trim the entire outside piece off the dome, leaving only the part that will be hidden underneath the base. Put the dome on the smaller back ground and then put the base over the dome.
As you can see, it fits right around the smaller piece and you don't see any of the outer lip.
I was planning on these two pieces being the last tutorials on this piece, but I've had several people contact me about the crackle background, so I'm doing one more short post after this on how to make that.
Thank you again for stopping by!
Tami

I am an affiliate with Simon Says Stamp and Scrapbook.com so the links below send you to one of those stores depending on which logo you choose.  If you wish to purchase something from either store and use one of my links below, I get a small percentage of your order, at no additional cost to you. This helps me to defray the costs of this blog, the time, the ideas and tutorials I post here. Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

3 comments:

scrappergirl56 said...

The details in this piece are just amazing. I hope to get my version started this next week. Thank you so much for all the time it takes to post the tutorials and having to go back and remake parts just to show us how it is done...fabulous!

babs55 said...

Thanks again for helping us see some of the parts that make such a fabulous whole!

Freddie Bubblescrap Sleijpen said...

You are such a great teacher my friend. I love how you cut these tutorials into pieces per item. Thank you xox