Sunday, April 7, 2024

Spring has Sprung! - Tim Holtz Sizzix Vault 2

 

 I saw some really darling spring nests on Pinterest made with vintage bed springs. So I got some of my own and got to work making this spring nest with the Tim Holtz Vault 2 dies. 

As with the last sample I posted, I was just recovered from being quite ill for the month before this deadline and so it was enough for me to just get the projects made and shipped. I didn't have the time or energy to make a tutorial. So I'll put some details here to help

 

To begin, the springs are rusty, and since I was working with paper, I went over the entire spring with a layer of Collage Medium. This sealed it and also made things stick to it a little easier.

The top is sitting on the doily from Boutique. It's difficult to see, but if you look through the wood shavings, you will see. I attached it with collage medium. Once it was dry I added some wood shavings to make a nest and then began to build from there.

 

 I stamped a sentiment on the banner piece from the Tiny Text CMS394 stamp set. 

The frames were cut from Woodgrain Cardstock. I colored it with dark brown ink, then added Opaque Crackle Paint, Broken China Distress Paint and Foundry Wax to add a guilded look. This is several layers and drying in betwen each application. Inside the frames I put some stamped and embossed papers I had in my stash.

The birds from Vault 1 Lovebirds dies were cut from Woodgrain Cardstock that I had colored with Distress Oxides sometime in the past. 
The frame behind the bird has part of the doily in it for some texture.
 For the 1.5" paper mache eggs I cut the scrolls from thin kraft paper and attached with Distress Collage Medium. Then I covered the eggs with Broken China Distress Paint and wiped it of so some of the brown showed through.
I arranged the eggs, bird and frames in the wood shaving nest and attached them with a hot glue gun. Then I began arranging the roses, leaves and scrolls from Boutique all around the eggs and frames.

The roses are actually quite fun and quick to make once you get a few practice flowers made. If you haven't made any roses yet, please watch Tim Holtz's Youtube Live for the Vault 2 release. He does a demo at the end to show the easiest way to assemble these roses. You don't want to miss it!

At the bottom of the spring I added more wood shavings, another frame, bird, rose, leaves and flourishes. I attached all of these with hot glue.


Well that's pretty much it. Again, I apologize for not having a proper tutorial for these makes. I'm happy to answer any questions I may not have addressed above.

Also, if you don't have any old bedsprings lying around. I am going to sell a few sets on my Etsy site of the bedsprings, woodgrain cardstock, wood shavings, eggs and some basic directions for making your own unique version of this. 

I'm also considering doing a series of these this year. I think that would be fun!

Thank you so much for following along. I appreciate your support!

Have a creative day,

Tami

I am an affiliate with Simon Says Stamp, and Scrapbook.com. The links below send you to one of those stores. If you wish to purchase something and use one of my links below, I get a small percentage of your order at no additional cost to you. This helps me to defray the costs of this channel, the time, the ideas and tutorials I post here. Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

2 comments:

Theresa said...

when I saw this on the live, it made me grin from ear to ear. such a great make. then all the details in your photos brings the awesomeness to a new level. thanks as always for sharing and all the inspiration.

Marie said...

This is so inventive! Great make!