Friday, October 2, 2020

Frankenstein's Laboratory 2 - Book and Seal Tutorial


I'm looking forward to getting started on the second tutorial today, making the mini books, candle, and the seals on the flasks. Everything I used was from Tim Holtz Idea-ology except for the Distress products which are from Tim Holtz Ranger Ink, as well as an old book and a hot glue gun.
Let's begin with the mini books. The Anatomy book was made with one of the Halloween Layers as the cover. I used the Palmistry card, and I scored a 1/4" spine in the center of the card.
Then I trimmed the Anatomie card from the Halloween Ephemera pack. I inked it and adhered it to what would be the front of the book.
You can see I also inked the inside of the layer. No one will ever see this but I did it as a detail for myself.
Then I did the next step to cut up pages of this old book and glue them into the cover to make it look like old pages.
I inked these as well so that the edges you show will look old and crumpled.
I did this book twice. The second one did not have the eye cover because it is hidden behind the big book as you will see later. It is just filling a little space. For these books I used a fortune telling card from the Ephemera pack and another fortune telling game, the eye piece, and two of the Latin strips all from the Ephemera and Snippets packs.  Cut the large fortune telling card in half and distress it by spraying it with some Distress Spray Stain.  Then again score it to make a 1/4" binding.  Trim the eye to fit on the smaller Fortune Telling Game piece and then attach both to the front of one book.
Measure the books and cut pieces of the old book pages to fit folded into the mini book. Make enough pages to fill the spine so it looks like a book. You can stain or age the book pages at any time. Either before or after you adhere them to the spine.
To adhere them into the spine, just put a nice layer of Distress Collage Medium along the spine and press the folds of the pages into it and hold it until it dries a little and sets.
Here is what the large book looks like. I really love how it turned out.
It really looks like a little book.
And the eye book.
Love the aged edges of these pages.
There is a candle in one of the boxes. It is a larger candle than the ones I made in the past to fit on the tiny skulls, so I cut the paper a little wider, and instead of the Crafter's Thread, I used a piece of the black twine from the Halloween Trims. You can find the original tutorial here.
Put Collage Medium on the paper and then rolled the twine up in the middle of it. Again this candle is a bit larger, so I added a second piece to this candle.
I put the paper candle in this urn that I made last year. You can see a tutorial on how to make this thimble urn here. I had to trim it a little with my Tonic scissors so that it would fit in the box in the Divided Vignette Box. Then I used my glue gun to make drippy wax on the candle and down onto the urn. When it was cool and set, I painted it with Antique Linen Distress Paint and then when that was dry I brushed on watered down Pumice Stone Distress paint and wiped it off so that it settled into the crevices to make it look dusty.
Here it all is in place. You can see I added one of the sticker photos from the Sticker Book and he is in a Deco Frame.
Here you can see the other tiny book I made that is just filling that little corner, and tucked a skull in between two of the books. This allows us to see the great imagery on the Anatomie book.
The eye book is tilted kind of making it look like it was tossed onto the shelf.
Here you can see the tops of the book pages. So good! I love it!
Here is the candle in place. You can see the hot glue drips that were squeezed onto the nonstick mat make it look like the candle dripped onto the shelf once it is put into place.
One last quick detail. I wanted something to hold the mummy cloth in place on the necks of the Flasks, so I decided to make some "wax" seals. I didn't have any wax, so I used hot glue. I also didn't have a seal so I used the tiny spider in the metal Halloween Adornments pack. It is very tiny, so I tied some Craft Thread through the loop.
I squeezed some hot glue onto the nonstick mat and while it was hot I pressed the tiny spider into it. I tried this several times before I got one that I liked. Then when the hot glue is completely cool, you can peel the spider out of it and you have a spider image left.

I painted them black and then when dry, I used my finger the spread a little Tarnished Brass Distress Paint over the raised areas.  I hated the way the tiny one looked after I did this, so I used my heat gun and heated the small seal and then pressed it flat with the bottom of the flask. LOL. It worked! I also did the same thing lightly to the large one, just enough to flatten it, but not enough so that I pressed the spider image out.

To finish this box, I added a Mini Pulley Wheel and hung a skull from it with a Swivel Clasp.

I felt the front of the flasks with the measurements looked too modern for this project, so I used the back of them. I brushed them with Vintage Distress Collage Medium and used some labels from the Apothecary Vials.

You can see the labels here and inside the vials I have Glossy Accents with some Alcohol Ink coloring them. You can also see here how I squished the small seal flat and and how cool the spider looks in the other one.

That's enough detail for today. The next tutorial will be the last and but it is a doosey! It's how to make the light-up generator.

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and for the support. I hope you for this interesting and beneficial. If you have any questions, please, use the link at the right to contact me and I will do my best to answer.

Tami

I am an affiliate with Simon Says Stamp and Scrapbook.com so the links below send you to one of those stores depending on which logo you choose.  If you wish to purchase something from either store and use one of my links below, I get a small percentage of your order, at no additional cost to youThis helps me to defray the costs of this blog, the time, the ideas and tutorials I post here. Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

9 comments:

scrappergirl56 said...

Little books are fun to make, your idea for a wax seal...brilliant!!! love that!!! Can hardly wait to get started on this one...need to load pics of my Ghost Bride...it turned out fabulous...very happy! You always write good tutorials that are easy to understand and duplicate...thank you for that!

Maureen Reiss said...

You attention to details is Amazing!!!! I love it all TFS

HirschEngelchen said...

Tami, you are my queen of halloween! I always sit here with my mouth open looking at all those details. Thank you so much for inspiring us!
Hugs from HirschEngelchen
Anka

Nancy said...

Okay, Tami, just ONE word to describe your style and attention to detail.... ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!! (Math is not my strong suitπŸ˜‰) Thanks for the fabulous details and inspiration which can be used in so many ways. Happy crafting!πŸ§‘πŸ–€πŸ§‘

Witchkrafting with Kat said...

Wow this is amazing! Thank you for sharing how you made it.

anncoralsprings said...

Just can’t believe how awesome your Halloween display is!! Such attention to detail and outstanding finishing touches! This is terrific! My daughter loves Halloween decorations and I can’t wait to make some of these things for her! Thank you so very much for the inspiration! πŸ§‘πŸ–€πŸ§‘πŸ–€πŸ§‘

sarascloset said...

I know i'm late, but it's never too late to admire all these wonderful aged and decrepit details. I'm particularly impressed with your books and the wax seals on your apothecary selectiion. The pully and lift are such creative details and everything pulls together for one amazing Halloween display! Thank you for sharing your process and for the inspiration!

KraftiKathi said...

OH MY! How incredible. Looks like I need to check all your makes. Was pointed here by a post about the drippy candles.

Sugarhill Crafter said...

Just WOW! Tami, I love these makes for 2020 Halloween. All of your attention to detail is phenomenal! I mean, who thinks of using a swivel chain to attach to a skull? I can see so much of your inspiration in the 2021 ideaology skus.
And, of course, your nod to Disney always grabs my heart. The highlight of the Keys to The Kingdom was going behind the scenes of the Haunted Mansion. I loved everything about the tour, but the Mansion is the best part, imho.
Can’t wait to see more of your Christmas makes on Saturday.