Friday, August 21, 2020

Completing the Halloween Candy Shoppe - Ideaology 2020

Finally, this is the final post of the Halloween Candy Shoppe. The rest of the things you can probably figure out how to put together, but I thought I would touch on each thing in case there were some questions.
I began by covering the inside and outside of a large Vignette Box with Halloween Wallpapers of my choice. I thought this purple wallpaper was fun, so I put that on the inside and then in the photos below you will see that I picked one of the black and grey ones for the outside. I measured the sides and back before I cut the pieces and then attached them to the wood with some Distress Collage Medium matte.
Here you can see the black and grey I used on the sides and back of the box. Then I attached the new Halloween Design Tape with the pinked edges. To be sure that it stays in place for the long haul, you need to put a thin layer of Distress Collage Medium where the tape will go and then adhere the tape.
Once the tape is in place over the collage medium, I use a clean cloth, my "Inky Binky" to wipe away any excess collage medium and to be sure that the tape fully adheres to the box.
Here you can see that I put the pinked tape around the back and front of the box.

To begin decorating the inside of the box, I used a scrap of the black wallpaper and the 31cents from the Halloween Baseboards pack inside of the long rectangle Deco Frame. 

Then I attached the decorative oval Deco Frame to one of the found relative stickers from the Curiosities sticker book. All you need to do is add a little bit of Collage Medium to the back of the frame, then adhere it to the front of the sticker and wait for it to dry before you trim off the excess sticker. I picked this lady because I wanted her to be reminiscent of Mary See from See's Candy which was founded in 1921 in California. Her picture is on the wall of See's Candy stores and on the candy packages. 

I completed the basics for the inside of the box by adding some Etcetera Trims, both the pinked and the bracket trims. I painted them with Black Soot Distress Paint, sanded them and then spread some Vintage Distress Collage Medium onto them before adhering them together to form a shelf.

Then I took two more of the Etcetera Bracket Trims and adhered them together along the straight edge with Distress Collage Medium. Let that dry thoroughly. Once dry, carefully cut off the bracket on one side with your Tim Holtz Tonic Scissors.
You should end up with a shape like this. This will be the Candy sign. You can see in the background that I used letter stickers from the Curiosities Sticker Book and attached them on a piece of heavystock.
Just like the shelf inside the shoppe, I painted the front and back of the sign with Black Soot Distressed Paint. Let it dry, then sand it so it looks like this.
 Then using your finger, rub some Vintage Distress Collage Medium over the front and back of the sign. When it is dry, adhere the candy letters in the center. There should be a little bit of room on each end, which will be where you attach the spoon and fork on each end to hold up the sign.


If you look closely, you can see that I bent the end of the handle of the spoon and fork in a 45 degree angle. I just used two needle-nose pliers to bend them.

I should probably mention here the sugared skulls in this photo and the one below. I quickly brushed Distress Collage Medium on the skulls one at a time and then very quickly covered them with colored Distress Glitter. It's really fast and simple. For the piece below I attached them together with Collage Medium and then adhered them in an Idea-ology Decorative Dome.

When both the fork and spoon were bent, I adhered the fork tines and spoon bowl to the ends of the sign and laid it down so that it could dry completely. Once they were securely dried, I added Distress Collage medium to the bottom of both of the bent areas and adhered them to the top of the box. I had to hold these in place for awhile, so put on a good tv show or movie or youtube to keep you entertained while you hold them in place. They will eventually stay by themselves, but you have to be patient. Fair Warning.

To make the candy dish, you take an Idea-ology Snow Globe and put a good amount of Distress Collage medium in the well of the wooden part of the globe. I dry brushed some Distress Collage Medium on the outside of the glass part of the globe to make it look frosted. Then gently press the top part of the glob into the Distress Collage Medium causing it to ooze out all around the rim of the wooden stand. Let it dry. You can see that it stays white. Then I painted both the wood and the Distress Collage Medium so it looks like one solid base.

I covered the black paint with two types of Design Tape, adhering them with Collage Medium. Add some drips along the top of the globe with Collage Medium and then sprinkle it with Distress Glitter that you have colored with Alcohol Ink. You can color the Rock Candy Distress Glitter any color you want, the same way I colored the Mica Flakes in yesterday's tutorial. I finished this off by coloring some Idea-ology Baubles with Alcohol ink and then adhering them into the candy dish with some Collage Medium so they didn't fall out.

On the shelf I have some Idea-ology Gum Drops that I colored with an orange Alcohol Ink. Then I just cut up a cellophane bag and wrapped each one in a piece of it. Those were glued to the shelf with Distress Collage Medium. Then the tall Corked Vial was filled with colored Distress Rock Candy Glitter in Candy Corn layers. The Rock Candy tutorial can be found here.

In the very front of the candy corn sugar is a small Corked Vial that has some colored Baubles and a label from the Apothecary Vials pack. I tied a piece of the black Halloween Trimmings around the lip.  The caramel apple tutorial can be found here.

I used three more small corked vials here and all of the corked vials look like frosted glass. I just dry brushed some Distress Collage Medium over the outside of the vial to make it look frosted. Two of the vials have circular Halloween Snippets on the outside of the vials. The orange one has some of the extra colored Mica Flakes in it. The green and yellow jars have colored Baubles.

Finally the sugared Bones were made the same way as the sugared skulls. I quickly brushed Distress Collage Medium onto the bones and then covered them in colored Distress Rock Candy Glitter. Once dry I put them in the jar. The label is from the Apothecary Vials and then I put the label on a paper label from the snippets pack. All the jars have a bit of the black Halloween Trimmings cording around it.

That pretty much covers the entire project. As always, my hope is that there was something inspiring in this piece for you to ponder and maybe even make a version of your own. It is certainly a really fun thing to immerse yourself in making.

Wishing you a sweet day!

Tami



2 comments:

scrappergirl56 said...

Trick or Treat, smell my feet, give me something sweet to eat...LOL. Something sweet indeed...LOL...all the candies look good enough to eat...

Sus said...

Love all your work ❤️