Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Rock Candy and Sugared Eyeballs - Halloween Candy Store

Alright! Another candy tutorial. Today we are going to cook up some rock candy and sugared eyeballs.

We begin by coloring Distress Mica Flakes with Alcohol Ink. I put a small amount of mica flakes in a condiment cup I got at Smart and Final, I also have on hand a piece of a wooden or bamboo coffee stirrer.

Put several drops of your chosen color of Alcohol Ink onto the Distress Mica Flakes.
Use the wooden stirrer to begin stirring the Alcohol ink into the Distress Mica Flakes. The Alcohol Ink doesn't mix in immediately. I think this one looks like pesto shaved ice at this stage.
If you stick with it, the Distress Mica Flakes will eventurally even out and have a nice colored crystal look to them.
I made three colors (pretend flavors) for my rock candy sticks. orange, green apple and grape.
To make the sticks you will need a toothpick, Distress Collage Medium and one color of Distress Mica Flakes.
Dip the toothpick into the Distress Collage Medium. You want nice coverage.
Then roll the toothpick into the mica flakes.
Try to get some of the flakes to adhere on all sides of the toothpick.
I had some floral foam left over from a project, so you will want to find something like this before you start, but stick the candy stick into the foam and let it dry.
I put the rock candy sticks into an apothecary jar. Don't they look tasty?
Last year I made an insane Eyemagination vignette inspired by these little cuties. Well, they are back this year and I was thinking about what I could do with them this year and it dawned on me that they could be a Halloween treat. One year our neighbor brought over some candy eyeballs to give out to trick or treaters.  We were like, "Are kids going to like that?" and as the ToTers started to arrive we quickly found out that they were a huge hit! So I decided to add them to my candy shoppe. 
So I originally was going to just rub some Rock Candy Distress Stickles onto the eyeballs and call it good, but they weren't sugared enough for me, so I rubbed the Rock Candy Stickles on them and then dusted them with Distress Rock Candy Glitter from a Glitter Duster and that was perfect.
Mmmmmmm good enough to eat!
In order to get them to show in the jar, but not be to garish, I brushed a clear apothecary jar with a smal amount of Distress Collage Medium and the that dry.  It makes the glass look frosted. Then I added one eye at a time into the jar with a bit of Distress Collage Medium on it and then let it dry while I was working on other parts of the shoppe. This takes forever to do it one eye at a time, but if you don't do that you won't be able to see the eyes. They pile up and look like wafers not eyes.
I added a few on the side of the top of the box for interest.
 Add a label to the faux frosted apothecary jar and add it to the right side on the top of the box.

Tomorrow we will finish up this project and move on to a few other Halloween makes. Thank you so much for stopping by. Thank you very much for your comments and support!

Gratefully, 

Tami


6 comments:

scrappergirl56 said...

Trick or Treat!!! I would like an Orange candy stick and may I have one eyeball, please...LOL...Yes, they look good enough to eat...

Nancy Wethington said...

So very cool but those candy sticks are genius!

Maureen Reiss said...

These are Amazing!!! Your creativity astounds me!! TFS

Paula Cheney said...

this is such a great project! I just love all the glittered things and the candy sticks are brilliant!

Mary Keller said...

This project is so much fun to make. A friend called today and asked me what I was doing and I was able to say "making candied eyeballs"! Here is a tip I discovered today while trying to place the dratted eyeballs in their jar. I cut a strip of white copy paper 1 x 2 inches. Then I rolled it up in a narrow tube and inserted it in the center of the jar. This helped hold the eyeballs in place and it didn't show when I was done. Hope this helps. Thanks for sharing this amazing project.

Barbara Woodard said...

Thank you so much for sharing how you did this. I would never tackle it without your instructions!!!!!! I love Halloween and want to do one of these. Can’t. Wait to retire!,,,