Saturday, February 8, 2020

Idea-ology Ink and Paint Department

It's no secret I love Disney, and after more than a decade of scrapbooking my Disneyland adventures, I see most things through Mickey shaped glasses. I get endless inspiration from not only Disneyland, but Walt's life, and his imagineers and animators. This Idea-ology project was born from that inspiration.
To begin, it light's up! I have the lights on in the first photo, but even in this second photo, without the Tiny Lights turned on, the Vellum Scene that makes up the background is just as lovely. The Vellum Scenes remind me of the hand drawn animation of the vintage animated Disney movies. I adore hand drawn animation and prefer it to the CGI used today. I wish they would still make some hand drawn animation just for the nostalgic aspect of the company.
I have had the opportunity to tour the Walt Disney Studio Lot in Burbank, California on several occasions and I treasure each chance I get to spend time on the studio lot.
These are some photos I took on one of my tours of what is left of the Ink and Paint Department.
In order to get an animated movie filmed, the animators would draw a long, detailed, full-color background. Then they would draw the characters on clear cels and the women in the Ink and Paint Department would paint every character on every cel. The thousands of cels would be placed over the backgrounds one or two at a time, and filmed on the HUGE contraption above to make the animation take action. The Ink and Paint Department was always very busy and at the heart of the animation department.
I wanted this project to pay tribute to Walt Disney's animators and Ink and Paint Department. Of course the fact that one of the new Idea-ology Factory Tags says Ink and Paint Dept with the date 1926 (the year Walt and Roy Disney renamed their Disney Bros. Studio to the Walt Disney Studio and moved it to the Hyperion Lot in Silverlake, California) just cemented the idea in my mind that I had to make this.
I'm positive that the paint bottles back in the day were not this messy, but in so many Disney cartoons the characters are involved in a lot of messy painting, so I just went with that. On the bottom of a large Vignette Box, I dripped a bunch of paint. But if you look carefully, right in the center in Wild Honey, the paint drops formed a Hidden Mickey. The paintbrush is made from a regular super fine detail brush that I cut off and sanded to look like a paint brush that would fit in the box.
I don't use these awesome Idea-ology Faucet Knobs nearly enough. I love the worn paint look I got on this. I painted it with Mowed Lawn Distress Paint, then when mostly dry I wiped off some of the paint. Then I painted it with Wild Honey. Again, when it was mostly dry I started wiping off the paint and picking spots off with my fingernail until I got the look I wanted.
I painted a Large Vignette frame with Walnut Stain Distress Stain and then with Distress Collage Medium. Then I covered the sides and back of the a Large Vignette Box with a piece of Abandoned paper.
On this corner you can see that I took some Film Strip Ribbon and splattered Distress Paint all over it just as I did with the bottom of the inside of the box. The three colors I used were Worn Lipstick, Wild Honey, and Mowed Lawn. To do this I tacked a piece of the Filmstrip Ribbon onto my Glass Mat and then dripped, smeared, and sprinkled paint on the film strip ribbon until I liked the look. I let it partially dry and then put a clean, dry cloth over it to pat most of the wet paint off of it, leaving behind just the suggestion of painted cels or film.
I adhered the Film Strip Ribbon to the back of the box. You will also notice that I poked a hole in the back of the Vignette Box in order to thread the Tiny Lights to the front side. I don't like the battery pack to show, so I make little boxes to hold it.
The Idea-ology Vellum Scenes shown in the back of this piece, come in several sizes. The one I picked is the one that is just a tiny bit larger than the largest Vignette Box. You can trim it to fit, but I wanted it to curve, so that I could fit Tiny Lights behind it, and still fit paint bottles in front of it. From this angle you can also see how I curled the Film Ribbon up on one end and adhered it into one of the paint bottles, and tucked the end of another piece of Filmstrip Ribbon behind a bottle on the other end. My purpose in the film coming out of the bottle was to suggest all of the magical Disney films that came out of the Ink and Paint Department.
Lastly,  I wanted to show the paint on the lips of the Apothecary Bottles and running down the sides, the Remnant Rub numbers on small labels, and that cool art store ephemera piece that Stacy Hutchinson found and is included in the Keepsake Ephemera pack.

I hope you enjoyed my little ode to the Walt Disney Animators and Ink and Paint Department. It's a fun, fairly quick project to make, and one I hope sparks some inspiration for a Vellum Scene project of your own.
Tami

I am an affiliate with Simon Says Stamp and Scrapbook.com so the links below send you to one of those stores depending on which logo you choose.  If you wish to purchase something from either store and use one of my links below, I get a small percentage of your order, at no additional cost to youThis helps me to defray the costs of this blog, the time, the ideas and tutorials I post here. Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!


5 comments:

Theresa said...

Love, love, love this! What a concept and carried out so very well. thanks as always for sharing.

scrappergirl56 said...

Wow, another project!!! Such fun stuff!!! How cool to get to go through the Ink and Paint Dept. I agree, animations had something that the newer computer generated films lack. Love the old cartoons and movies. M-I-C-K-E-Y...MOUSE!

Nancy said...

Great project! Love reading your stories, it means so much more to have an understanding of what the maker was doing and why. It’s really one of the reasons I always check out your blog! This was a great project and the inspiration was wonderful. Thanks Tami, for all the details.❤️

Lisa Andersson said...

What an awesome project, love every detail and love the story behind. I too love Disney.

babs55 said...

Fabulous! I love, love ,LOVE your creativity and the detail you put into your pieces. Thanks for sharing with us, you are an inspiration.