Monday, February 24, 2020

Limited Edition - Stampers Anonymous

You know how sometimes as crafters we get on a certain kick and we keep creating things with a certain color scheme, or technique, or product? Well, that happens to me a lot. One of the creative kicks I was on when I was making samples for Creativation 2020 was canvas. I made several things with canvas and this card is one of them.
Begin by cutting a piece of cotton canvas fabric (usually buy several yards when I'm at the fabric store so that I have it on hand) just a bit smaller than the size card I want, as well as a small piece for the focal point and a small strip for the sentiment. I used Flower Shop, Faded Type and Tiny Type stamps for this project.
Lay the large piece of canvas in a Splat Box and spray it with some water to prep it so it will soak in color.
Then spray it with Distress Oxide Sprays in whatever color you choose. I believe I used Crushed Olive, Stormy Sky, Peeled Paint and then splattered some Chipped Sapphire and Ground Espresso here and there. You might need to spray it with a little more water to make sure it softens the splatters.
Completely dry the piece. (I think this takes the longest.)
NOTE: I always have people ask me what colors I used on things and often I'm so in the moment when I'm creating that I don't stop to take photos and then by the time I can blog about the project it's been months, I don't have the sample, and I can't remember. Sorry. But honestly half the fun is just coming up with your own color combos as you create, right?
Once the piece is dry, I attached it to the large Stamping Platform with Sticky Grid.
Then arranged various stamps from Faded Type CMS397 over the piece.
I applied Ground Espresso Distress Paint to my Glass Media Mat and then ran a brayer through it to apply the paint evenly to the stamps with the brayer.
Then stamp the paint onto the canvas. Repeat with more paint if needed until you have nice coverage.
Immediately remove the canvas and rinse the stamps thoroughly to get all of the paint off of them. Then dry the stamped canvas.
I really love the way it looks!
I had cut a smaller piece of canvas to fit in the center. I colored this piece of canvas by spraying it with Antique Linen Distress Spray and water and then letting it dry.
Then I stamped over the background using the script from Flower Shop CMS401 in Hickory Smoke Distress Oxide.
You don't want the entire image, so just press your fingers down on the parts you want to show.
You can see it makes just light bits of script here and there.
Part of one of the flower stamps from Flower Shop was stamped on the canvas in Distress Oxides using colors from the background. I situated the stamp where I wanted it, again using the Sticky Grid to hold the canvas in place.
I first loaded the Peeled Paint Distress Oxide onto the stamp and then wiped the ink away in spots where I thought the flowers were in the image. Then I sprayed the stamp with a mist of water and stamped. Repeat if needed and dry.
Once the Peeled Paint was stamped I put the Chipped Sapphire in a few areas and misted it with water and then stamped it.
I cut a small strip of canvas for the sentiment from Tiny Text CMS394 and then stamped it in Ground Espresso Distress Oxide and dried it thoroughly.
Once both the background and focal piece were dry I inked the edges with some Walnut Stain Distress Ink. 
As you can see they still needed a little something before I adhered them together. 
So at this point, I sewed around the edges of the larger pieces and sewed a zig zag stitch across the ends of the sentiment strip before I adhered them together.
I adhered the pieces to a black cardbase and to each other, then added a final little touch of two vintage cream buttons.
In the top right corner I added an Ideaology Mini Pin.
I really love all of the color and texture on this piece and how many imperfections and inconsistencies there are in color.
It just adds to the vintage charm.
If you look closely you can see some of the splatters of Ground Espresso and Chipped Sapphire, as well as the light Hickory Smoke script in the background of the flower.

I really love this card and I hope it inspires you to try stamping on fabric.
Tami

I am an affiliate with Simon Says Stamp and Scrapbook.com so the links below send you to one of those stores depending on which logo you choose.  If you wish to purchase something from either store and use one of my links below, I get a small percentage of your order, at no additional cost to youThis helps me to defray the costs of this blog, the time, the ideas and tutorials I post here. Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

2 comments:

Nancy said...

I really love this, Tami! Although I have tons of fabric, I never think to stamp on it...thanks for the great tutorial and inspiration! I am going to give it a try! Still waiting on the luscious stamps you used, though... happy crafting❤️

scrappergirl56 said...

I think I have some canvas around here somewhere....must find it...My stamps will finally arrive tomorrow...some more playtime in the works....love it.