Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Shine - Colorize Hanging Ornaments

I think the Colorize Hanging Ornaments from Sizzix and Tim Holtz are so delicate and lovely that it took me a little while to figure out how I wanted to use them. I finally settled on just a little bit of ornate shine and I couldn't be happier with how this piece turned out.
I started with a framed panel.
The frame on these sits flush onto the panel, so I usually draw a line around the inside edge of the frame.
Then I cut several of the Fanciful Snowflakes from some kraft paper. and arrange them on the panel.
Adhere them onto the panel with Distress Collage Medium. Brush a nice layer onto the panel, press the snowflake into the Collage Medium, and then brush a light layer over it.
When it is dry use a straight edge and then cut along the lines drawn earlier.
It should look like this when you are done so that the frame will sit flat on the panel in the next step.
Brush a nice layer of Collage Medium all over the panel and then adhere the frame onto it. Let dry.
Paint the entire piece with Picket Fence Distress Paint.
When dry, lightly sand the whole piece.
Put another layer of Collage Medium over the entire piece.
Spray with a nice layer of Tumbled Glass Distress Oxide Spray.
Add a few drips of Stormy Sky, Hickory Smoke, and Chipped Sapphire on top of it. Let them all dry.
Once they were dry I wiped the oxides off with a baby wipe to reveal the white underneath.
It's hard to see from a photo, but there is residual blue oxide in the depressions, and some lighter and darker areas from the different oxide colors.
I edged the frame and inside of the frame with a little Walnut Stain Distress Crayon and rubbed it in with a damp finger. Then rubbed the excess off with a cloth.
The final detail on the frame is a bit of silver foil. I used some Ranger Foil Paper that I had in my stash.

Rub some Range Collage Glue Stick onto the frame.
Press the dull side of the foil paper onto the area with the glue stick on it. I used a bone folder to get some into the crevices as well. Then pull the paper back and it should leave some silver foiling behind.
You can see just little bits of silver here and there on the frame in this picture.
Next I want to make the paper to cut the Hanging Ornaments from as well as the sentiment. I used Fabulous Flourishes stamp, and stamped it in embossing powder onto Distress Watercolor Cardstock and covered it with Ranger Superfine Detail Embossing Powder. Then Heat Embossed it.
I stamped four pieces of watercolor and then using various blue Distress Oxide Sprays, I made four different blue colored backgrounds.
I cut the parts for each ornament out of the same color. You could get a little crazy and cut them all from different colors if desired, but I wanted them from the same color.
That way the layers on each ornament would be subtle and not so "in your face."
I tried to make sure that the dies were on the stamped parts as much a s possible.
Since some were lighter than others, you can see how if you wanted you could cut all the highlight pieces on the lightest one for more dimension if you wanted.
I edged each one with a blending tool and the Distress Ink in the corresponding colors.
This added vibrancy and a little definition to each of the layers.
I also cut the word Shine out of one of the stamped papers and several layers of cardstock that I adhered together so it would stand out.
The hangers and wires were just cut from the Silver Metallic Kraftstock. When I attached them to the piece, I popped them up off the panel with foam dots.
The branch I hung them from was one of the larger branches from the Bigz Branch die. It was cut from woodgrain cardstock colored brown, and also from some black chipboard. The thicker branch adds interest.
I layered several of the Pine Boughs under and over the branch to give dimension. They were cut from Watercolor paper and colored with various green Distress Oxide Sprays.
Lastly, I carefully dabbed some Collage Medium in a few places on the boughs and sprinkled Distress Mica Flakes on them. I also added some Collage Medium and Mica Flakes here and there along the inside edges of the frame.

There are quite a few steps to making this piece, but I hope you are able to take one or two ideas and go with it to make it your own. I know whatever you make it will shine with your own creativity and design.

Thank you for stopping by,
Tami

I am an affiliate with Simon Says Stamp and Scrapbook.com so the links below send you to one of those stores depending on which logo you choose.  If you wish to purchase something from either store and use one of my links below, I get a small percentage of your order, at no additional cost to you. This helps me to defray the costs of this blog, the time, the ideas and tutorials I post here. Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

3 comments:

ann barnes said...

Tami this is such a beautiful piece. The background itself is gorgeous and those ornaments stole my heart! I love that you created patterned paper to cut them out of, for some reason I have never thought about doing that... and your pine branches are just the perfect scale and fine texture to totally complement your incredible ornaments. All around wonderful! Thank you for sharing and happy holidays to you. xx

Beulah Bee said...

I appreciate the techniques you used and your step-out was very interesting and helpful. It was fun to see the flourish stamp--I thought I was the only one who still used it :-)

Nancy said...

Gorgeous make, Tami! Those ornaments are so reminiscent of ornaments I grew up with, the ones in various shapes with swirls of gold or silver embossing that always wore off eventually. Your tutorial was perfectly understandable and a good reminder to add those little extras that always make such a big difference in the final product. Thanks!❤️