Thursday, December 5, 2019

Christmas Candy - Ideaology

 For the 2019 Ideaology Christmas release from Tim Holtz, I made a Main Street scene that was inspired by Disney and Hallmark Christmas Movies. It is a very detailed piece, so I am again breaking it down into segments that will hopefully help inspire you to use bits and pieces of this project rather than to recreate the whole thing.
So for today's segment I am only focusing on how I made all the candies inspired by one of my favorite shops in Disneyland, the Candy Palace.
 Begin with some gum drops and color them with a drop of alcohol ink.
 Once they are dry, grab some cellophane packaging. I just used the packaging that some of my Ideaology came in. Cut it into little rectangles.
 Wrap one gumdrop in each piece of cellophane. Twist the ends closed.
 Once the gumdrop was wrapped, I trimmed the ends.
 Cut some of the striped paper from the Christmas Paper Stash. I used toothpicks for this step but you can make them just as easily without them by just rolling the paper in on itself.
 You need to cut the paper on an angle.
 Then roll it up. You can see several attempts here and see how the ones that are on more of an angle than the ones that are horizontal, look much more like a candy cane.
 Then I cut them into little sticks and wrapped each one in cellophane before putting them in one of the larger of the Corked Vials.
 I pulled one of the Peppermint labels from the Snippets packet to put on the front of the jar. I'll talk about the cork stopper in a minute.
 From the side you can see the jar full of pepperminty goodness! Yum!
 The last candy is made using one of my most favorite of holiday items, the Beaded Berries.  I cut them off the wire and colored them with a tiny bit of Alcohol Ink.
 I didn't wrap them. I just put them in a small Corked Vial.  The front has a small label and I cut one of the stamps from the set of 4 and put it in the center.
 I have no idea what kind of candy I was making here but I love how yummy it looks.
 The lids of the vials were made by adhereing a Metallic Drop on the small one and a gumdrop on the other. When dry I painted them with Brushed Pewter Distress Paint and aged them with a little Black Soot Distress Crayon.
 And there you have some fun little candy jars and pieces to put in a store window.
 Here is how I arranged my candy in the window. You can see that I added three candy canes from the Ephemera and Snippets packets. I covered just the candy cane part with glossy accents. Then I adhered them into a thimble with a little bit of fluffy batting.
I put some of the peppermint sticks and some gumdrops tucked in among the thimble and bottles.

I had an absolute ball making this candy store window.  As always I hope you found something inspiring that sparked an idea for you. Please tag me in any candy you make so I can see your creations. I just love to see how others can take an idea and run with it.

Thank you for stopping by!
Tami
I am an affiliate with Simon Says Stamp and Scrapbook.com so the links below send you to one of those stores depending on which logo you choose.  If you wish to purchase something from either store and use one of my links below, I get a small percentage of your order, at no additional cost to you. This helps me to defray the costs of this blog, the time, the ideas and tutorials I post here. Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

6 comments:

ann barnes said...

Tami, once again I am in awe of the details you create for your amazing pieces. I love these candy jars and the festive candies that fill them, truly wonderful! The thimble filled with canes looks fabulous! Thank you for sharing your creative ideas with us! xxx

Erica H said...

Thank you for the detailed steps. Those peppermints look REAL! What a fun little display.

Stacy said...

Awesome, awesome, AWESOME!!! This project is so wonderful and full of all sorts of brilliant details, the wrapped candies, the candy cane sticks, the jar to hold the candy!!! I love it all! ♥️ fantastic job my friend!!!

scrappergirl56 said...

So much FUN!!! Love all the "sweet" details...LOL.

Renee Thompson said...

This is just amazing, I love it so much! Thanks for sharing your talents with us.

Schatzie said...

Out of all the fabulous projects Tim showed in the Idealogy Christmas video, your shop window vignette has to take the prize. Such incredible detail and creativity. Thanks so much for sharing the fabulous details of the candy shop window. I am in awe of your talent.