Sunday, February 24, 2019

Scrollwork - Distress Ink and Watermark Resist

This is a card I made for a friend using the new Scrollwork CMS367 and Eclectic Adverts CMS372 stamps from Tim Holtz and Stampers Anonymous.
To make the background I started by putting a piece of Sticky Grid onto my Stamp Platform because I wanted the scrolls to cover the entire surface and didn't want the magnets in the way.
 Then I put the piece of Distress Mixed Media Heavystock onto the Sticky Grid.
 I arranged the scrolls from the Scrollwork stamp set.
 Then stamped it with the almost clear Watermark Resist Ink.  The darker one seen below was stamped with Hickory Smoke Distress Archival just to see what would happen.
 These pictures were taken as I was experimenting with this technique to see if Distress Spray Stain would work with this technique as well as the Distress Ink Pads on the nonstick mat.
 After I sprayed the Distress Stains onto the paper, I spritzed them with a lot of water to give it a soft feeling.
 I also used a towel to soak up any of the really dark spots. In the photo above you can see how differently the Archival Ink and the Watermark Resist react differently with the Distress Stains.
 Then I dried the ink. I didn't do the water spots on this as I wanted the colors to blend together lightly and smoothly.
And here it is. You can see how there is a little resist that gives it a distressed look, but the ink also soaks in the color.  It's really cool! I love it.


 Sorry it is sideways...I can only edit and upload video on my phone and I couldn't figure out how to rotate it. 

Here is a quick little video showing how I made this type of background for the card below. I applied Distress Ink to the nonstick mat on my glass mat and sprayed it with water and then pressed the stamped paper into the ink. I did this several times until I got the saturation I was looking for. 
I believe for this card I used the colors Brushed Corduroy, Chipped Sapphire, and Vintage Photo.
I cut a small tag from the Stacked Tags die set and then stamped the hand advert onto it from the Eclectic Adverts stamp set, in Black Soot Distress Archival Ink. The I colored the tag with a little Chipped Sapphire and Brushed Corduroy.  To make it stand out on the card, I sprayed it with a layer of Distress Resist Spray. I tied a piece of jute through the tag and popped it up with dimensional adhesive.
I made another card for a another friend using the same technique but with a different stamp -- the Glorious Garden stamp.  It ended up being very soft and subtle compared to the scrolls.
I also experimented with this stamp the other day using the Watermark Resist Inks with the Distress Spray Stains and Spray Oxides.  The result was a very different look than the one above, but it's always fun to try new things with techniques.
I hope this inspires you to just play around with your stamps and inks and see what happens! As always I appreciate you taking the time to stop by.
Tami

I am an affiliate with Simon Says Stamp and Scrapbook.com so the links below send you to one of those stores depending on which logo you choose.  If you wish to purchase something from either store and use one of my links below, I get a small percentage of your order, at no additional cost to you. This helps me to defray the costs of this blog and the ideas and tutorials I post here, and your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Barbara. You will love the Scrollwork set.
I’m so used to adding Distress to Ink names I didn’t even see I had done that LOL! Also, I think maybe I’m dreaming about Tim developing a superior Watermark Resist Ink. ;-)
Of the two Inks, Versamark and Ranger Watermark Resist, I found that I prefer the Ranger brand for the techniques in this post.
Thanks for stopping and leaving a comment!

ann barnes said...

This is beautiful, what an interesting technique, I’ve never tried this before. I have ordered that scrolls stamp set and can’t wait to try this with it, the curves on the images look so cool. I also have never seen ranger’s watermark resist ink-I may need to try that! Thanks for sharing, I always leave your blog with lots of ideas! xx