Friday, July 24, 2020

Cards for Kinda Part 3 - Patchwork

 Another Cards for Kindness post today! This one uses the same Iron-off Embossing Technique from Jennifer McGuire Ink.
Today's card features a favorite stamp from Tim Holtz and Stampers Anonymous called Patchwork CMS256. It is an older die set and can be purchased directly from Stampers Anonymous.
Begin by stamping the patchwork die in clear Distress Embossing Ink onto the smooth side of Distress Watercolor Cardstock. Then cover the ink in Ranger Clear Superfine Detail Embossing Powder and heat emboss. Using a blending tool, color the background with Distress Ink and then mist with water and set aside to dry. Work on some other backgrounds in the meantime.
When it is dry, take a second piece of Distress Watercolor Cardstock, lay it smooth side down onto the stamped image and then iron over it with a hot dry iron. I took my time ironing as I really wanted all that embossing powder to reheat and soak into the second piece of cardstock. You can see the light image of the melted embossing powder on the piece on the right.
After I did the iron-off technique I had the original on the right, which is no longer shiny and has a kind of batik feel to it. The second print on the left has a softer, more washed out appearance once it you apply the Distress Ink with a blending tool and then mist with water. I love the unique look of both, and seeing how the stamped image changes on the second print with this technique.
 To make cards from these prints, I stamped two images and sentiments from Funny Farm CMS361 onto the smooth side of watercolor cardstock. Then using Distress Inks and a waterbrush I colored the images and then matted them.
On each card I added a strip of stamped watercolor cardstock. This was made when I inked the linen stamp from Linen and Mesh CMS221 with the same colors of Distress Ink as the patchwork, and then misted with water and used as a coordinating strip of paper. You can see how they look in the first photo above. On both cards I trimmed the front of the card so that it was thinner that the back and it allowed the piece of linen paper to show. To each card I added a few Studio Calico sequins that I have had in my stash for years.

One last note: There are two sizes of the hexagon patchwork backgrounds in this set. I believe they fit some of the Stacked Hexagons from Tim Holtz and Sizzix if you wanted to cut some embellishments.

Thank you so much for visiting and for your support. I am always so grateful!
Now go out there and spread some kindness!
Tami

I am an affiliate with Simon Says Stamp and Scrapbook.com so the links below send you to one of those stores depending on which logo you choose.  If you wish to purchase something from either store and use one of my links below, I get a small percentage of your order, at no additional cost to youThis helps me to defray the costs of this blog, the time, the ideas and tutorials I post here. Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

 

2 comments:

scrappergirl56 said...

The cast from Funny Farm look really good on your backgrounds...great colors, too!

Theresa said...

love this series of cards. funny farm is a favorite stamp set and I love the quilted look behind them. thanks as always for sharing.