Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Trick or Treaters! Sizzix chapter 3 2020

If you have followed me for long, you know I make a lot of little scenes from Sizzix dies and these fun Halloween dies from Tim Holtz Chapter 3 were no exception. Once again I found that I needed to make a silly, spooky little trick or treat scene.
To begin I covered a large Vignette Tray with some paper from the Idea-ology Dapper Paper Stash. Then I took a piece of dark paper from the Lost and Found Paper Stash and sprayed it with some various dark Spray Oxides to darken it even more. Lastly, I flicked some Picket Fence Distress Paint onto the background paper to mimic stars. I laid the paper in the tray and creased the corners and sides.
Then I put the Haunted base die and the moon where I thought they should go and lightly drew around the inside of the moon. I folded the sides of the paper in on themselves and then ran the moon through the die cut machine, lastly I backed it with vellum. This set also comes with three bats to add over the moon.
The house needed to be near the top of the vignette box to kind of make it seem like it was up on a hill for a bit of forced perspective since the Gatekeeper gates were so tall and the Trick or Treater dies were so large. It kind of makes the seem farther back than it really is. To light up the house, I backed the house with vellum and then ran the lights through the back of the tray and in the area behind where the house would be. Then put dimensional adhesive all around the outside to keep the light from escaping.
For the hill, I just took some chipboard and glued it on an angle, then I got some black heavy cardstock wet and molded it around the chipboard with Collage Medium, kind of like a paper mache hill. When it was dry I spread Transparent Grit Paste all over the hill and all over the gate. Let it dry and then color the hill with Peeled Paint Distress Crayon and the gate with Rusty Hinge Distress Crayon. The little steps are cut from some woodgrain scraps I had. Then fill in on the sides of the hill with some moss. I get mine by the bag from the floral department in any hobby store.
Here you can see on the Gatekeeper some of the grit paste with Rusty Hinge on it to make it look old and decaying.
If you look behind the Trick or Treaters you will see a wall. I made it from the Chapter 2 3D Brick Texture Fade. I used Distress Heavystock for the paper, colored them with Pumice Stone and Hickory Smoke Distress Spray Stains and then added a little Peeled Paint and Walnut Stain with a blending tool. I cut one piece in half making to short walls, and the other one into strips. I also cut some 3/4" strips of chipboard. Then I just adhered one brick strip to one chipboard strip with Collage Medium. I also attached the half pieces to some chipboard and then decided where I wanted to cut away some of the bricks to make it seem like the wall was crumbling. I did this along of the top of one and the bottom of another.
Here you can see one pillar with some moss at the top and bottom. The little pirate outfit was cut completely from scraps from my Abandoned paper pack. You can get various shades of skin tones just by picking your Distress Inks carefully. Anything from Antique Linen and Tattered Rose, to Vintage Photo and Gathered Twigs. I sometimes add a bit of Abandoned Coral. There are lots and lots of wonderful skin tones to be created with a little blending.
I wanted to point out two things in this photo of the Jack-o-Lantern. First, he is cut completely from papers in the Abandoned paper pack. Secondly he is sitting on the wall. If you look carefully, you can see that it looks like mortar on the top of the pillar and under the pumpkin. Once I had the wall in place, I carefully took a little texture paste knife and added some Transparent Grit paste all along the top of the wall, even where I had cut away the bricks, and on the tops of the pillars. Once dry I touched it up with a tiny detail brush and some Hickory Smoke Distress Paint.
In front of the wall I have this little vampire. If you peek behind Batman you can see more of the  rumbling wall. Use that moss along the top and bottom to cover up any weird areas of imperfections.
Batman's costume is cut from Abandoned scraps, and I wanted to do something fun on his shirt so they all didn't have stripes, so I cut another mouth for the Jack-O-Lantern, and just turned it upside down to make kind of a batman symbol.
More peeks as the wall work.
And here is the crumbly part at the bottom. I don't know if walls crumble at the bottom in real life, but in my make believe vignette scenes they do.
My last little Trick or Treater was destined to be another super hero. I cut his costume again from my Abandoned scraps. Then I cut a second pirate eye patch and cut the strings off it so it formed a circle. Then cut an r from the lowercase Tiny Type dies. I was loosely going for a Robin to back up Superman.
There are quite a few steps to this along with building the Haunted House and all three of the Trick or Treaters, but it's a really fun project to make and if you have any kiddos visit, they will thoroughly enjoy looking at it an imagining a story.

Thank you so very much for stopping by and sticking with this project explanation. I hope it gave you a starting point for making something of your own with these great dies.
Tami

I am an affiliate with Simon Says Stamp and Scrapbook.com so the links below send you to one of those stores depending on which logo you choose.  If you wish to purchase something from either store and use one of my links below, I get a small percentage of your order, at no additional cost to youThis helps me to defray the costs of this blog, the time, the ideas and tutorials I post here. Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

4 comments:

scrappergirl56 said...

Fun stuff for sure! Love the Trick or Treaters and your wall is fabulous with the pillars so that the gate looks like it is attached to it to guard the Haunted Mansion...LOL...love it...

Dana said...

It is awesome! And I love the idea with the bat!

Self Images said...

I loved this make when I saw it on Tim’s FB Live Sizzix Release 3 2020! Thank you so much for sharing how you made it😊😊

Paula Cheney said...

From the crumbling wall to the upside-down pumpkin mouth...you are a creative genius. I just would never even think of these things! What an awesome make Tami!