Thursday, July 23, 2020

Cards for Kindness Part 2

 Today I'm sharing the first of the cards I made for the Cards for Kindness campaign, using this technique from Jennifer McGuire. I recommend you watch her teach it when you have time because it will inspire you to try this!

I decided to try it with my Distress Inks and Stampers Anonymous stamps, all from Tim Holtz. For this first background I use the Flourish stamp from the Lattice & Flourish CMS257 stamp set.
I stamped the background stamp onto the smooth side of a piece of Distress Watercolor Cardstock in Distress Embossing Ink. Then I embossed it with Ranger Fine Detail Clear Embossing Powder and heat embossed it. I used a blending tool to color in the background with Barn Door, Mustard Seed, and Peacock Feathers, then misted it with water and set it aside to dry while I made more backgrounds.
When it was completely dry, I heated a dry iron (no steam!) and then put the smooth side of a piece of Distress Watercolor Cardstock on top of it. You need to line the cardstock exactly on top of each other. I have them off-set in the photo just so you could see that the colored and embossed side is facing the smooth side of the second piece. Then iron it thoroughly. It needs to get hot enough that it remelts the embossing so that it soaks in to the piece above.
Here you can see what the original piece looks like on the right and the second piece that soaked in the remelted embossing powder.
Then I used the blending tools again, and colored in the second piece, misted it with water and quick as that you have two card backgrounds. Don't you love how the original remains detailed, crisp, and white, while the second one has more of a softer, watermark feel to it.
This card uses the first print paired with an additional piece I stamped with the Linen stamp from Linen and Mesh CMS221. I used the same Distress Ink colors on the Linen stamp and then misted it with water, then stamped it on a piece of Distress Watercolor Cardstock.  This card opens along the diagonal. The front flap is only that diagonal piece.  The linen bit is on the back/inside of the card.
This is the card made from the second print and using the other half of the linen stamped piece. The focal and sentiment pieces on both cards are from the Funny Farm CMS361 stamp set. I stamped them onto the smooth side of Distress Watercolor Cardstock, and then watercolored the image with Distress Inks and a waterbrush. This card also opens along the flap. so the front of the card is about 2/3 the size of the card.

I hope you are as inspired by Jennifer McGuire's technique as I was. It is such a great way to get two prints out of one stamp at a time.

Now go out and spread some kindness,
Tami

I am an affiliate with Simon Says Stamp and Scrapbook.com so the links below send you to one of those stores depending on which logo you choose.  If you wish to purchase something from either store and use one of my links below, I get a small percentage of your order, at no additional cost to youThis helps me to defray the costs of this blog, the time, the ideas and tutorials I post here. Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

1 comment:

scrappergirl56 said...

Great technique indeed...and looks like fun too!