Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Desktop Candy Box Part 1 - Christmas Ideaology 2019

This darling little Idea-ology desktop Christmas candy holder is really fun to put together, but there are several steps to it, so I have broken the process into a few blog posts so that it's easier to digest.
Today we are going to focus on the structure of the piece and get it put together first.
You will need two of the smallest boxes from the Vignette Boxes set. You may be thinking, TWO? So I have to buy TWO sets? Well, If you have never used the boxes, yes, you will need two sets. But if you're anything like me, I tend to use the two larger boxes and I have a bunch of the two smaller ones left over. So this is a great way to put them to use!
You will need to use some needle-nose pliers and gently pull one box completely apart as seen in the picture above.  It is only glued together, so gently work the sides apart and then pull them away from the bottom.
Using Distress Collage Medium, you will reassemble the long sides on top of the long sides of the second small box as seen above.
Once the long sides seem set, add more Collage Medium and attach the smaller sides on top of the small side on the lower box. Wipe away excess Collage Medium if it squeezes out at the junctions.
You will need a #8 Etcetera Tag for the back. I drew a line along the front of the tag to indicate where the box would eventually be adhered.
Then taking a piece of the blue Christmas Worn Wallpaper, I drew around that top part of the tag on the backside of the Worn Wallpaper, and then cut it out. you don't need to cover the entire front of the tag because the box will be adhered to the bottom front of the tag.
On the piece of Worn Wallpaper with vintage ornaments, outline the entire tag and then cut it out.
Ok, this is what happens when I take my step out photos as I design and instead of recreating them for the blog. LOL!
You will need a piece of Worn Wall paper to cover one side of the full tag, then a shorter piece for the front of the tag. Then three pieces for the front and sides of the box.
I LOVE this ornament wall paper and thought I would love it on the box as well as the back of the tag, but I didn't. I ended up covering the box in the red paper with the Night Before Christmas text that is in the Christmas Stash. So pretend the three pieces at the bottom of the photo above are actually the red text papers.
I wanted a little bit of detail on the tag, so I trimmed a piece of the Scallop Etcetera Trim with my Tonic Snips. They are little workhorses. LOVE them!
Before attaching the box to the tag, I painted the inside of the box and the scallop trim with Picket Fence Distress Paint. I also wiped a thin layer of Opaque Crackle Texture Paste onto the Scallop Trim.  To finish off the box, I added the Compliments of the Season piece from the Christmas Ephemera Pack and two of the Holly Adornments. The adornments are metal but you can paint them with Distress Paint and then lightly wipe it off so it leaves color but you can see the metal through in spots.
Adhere the blue snowflake Worn Wallpaper to the front of the tag. Sand the edges. Adhere the Santa to the top of the tag using Collage Medium. His hat will cover the hole. Cover the whole thing with Collage Medium. Then distress the edges with a little bit of Walnut Stain Distress Crayon.
Add a Quote Chip and a small Clip that has Opaque Crackle Texture Paste wiped onto it and aged with a bit of Distress Crayon.
Adhere the full tag piece to the back of the tag. Cover the entire thing with Collage medium and add a little Walnut Stain Distress Crayon around the edges to age it. The two pieces of ephemera are from the Christmas Ephemera pack and are held in place with the clip at the top. These are optional, but I added them because if this is on the front of a desk or counter top facing out and someone will be sitting or standing behind it, I thought it would be nice to have something fun to stare at on the back side.
Once the tag is covered and the box is covered, you can then attach to the box to the tag with Collage Medium, then and add the Etcetera Trim last. To keep the tag nice and snug against the tag as it dries,  you can use some rubber bands to hold it in place.
NOTE: Ignore the two boxes on each side, we will get to those tomorrow.
I'm always grateful to have you stop by and it's always my hope that you will go away inspired and feeling like this is something you can do and I hope that is the case as we work on this project together.
Tami

I am an affiliate with Simon Says Stamp and Scrapbook.com so the links below send you to one of those stores depending on which logo you choose.  If you wish to purchase something from either store and use one of my links below, I get a small percentage of your order, at no additional cost to you. This helps me to defray the costs of this blog, the time, the ideas and tutorials I post here. Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

3 comments:

Sally Richardson said...

Hey Tami,
funny but i was going to email you and ask you whether you had finished the tutorial on the candy box.. awesome job btw.xx cant wait part 2

Paula Cheney said...

So clever Tami! Thanks for the tutorial on how you made the box - I would have never guessed!

Kathleen Summers said...

This is AMAZING. I absolutely adore it. You are so inventive and create such beautiful things!