Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Merry and Bright -Whimsical Decor

 Oh my was this project a labor of love! When I was planning out how I wanted to use the wonderful Whimsy Decor ornament dies from Tim Holtz Sizzix Alterations, I was looking at them I thought of the garlands that decorate the outside of It's a Small World in Disneyland, and decided to make my own version.
 This garland and wreath adorns the Castmember station on the loading dock.
 This is what those garlands look like at night.
 Here are some similar garlands adorning the entrance arch to the attraction, You can see they have white greenery and colorful ornaments.
 To make my version I first set out to make the ornaments. I die cut multiples of each ornament and the decor pieces.  I colored all of the pieces for each of the three ornaments in the same color scheme. Then I very methodically attached the different pieces onto the various ornaments so that each ornament had a variety of colors throughout.
 The easiest way to do this was to lay the base ornaments in order and then go through and attach the same piece to each ornament in a different color. I did this with a pre-planned order in mind, and I only laid them on the base ornament (as above) to make sure that they were all varied equally before I adhered the pieces.
 I really love how they turned out.  I chose all of the bright Distress Ink colors so that these Whimsy Decor ornaments would be truly whimsical, fun and in the spirit of It's a Small World Holiday.
 To attach them to something, I took a large vignette tray and painted it white, then covered it in pieces of It's a Small World sheet music with Distress Collage Medium. Once it was dry, I then covered it in Picket Fence Distress Paint and then lightly wiped it off with a damp cloth so that the title and some of the music still showed through.
I colored two pieces of Disress Watercolor Cardstock with Wilted Violet, Picked Raspberry, Broken China, and Twisted Citron.  I cut the small scalloped edge from the Stitched Ovals die set from the Wilted Violet paper and attached them all around the edge of the Vignette Panel.
Then I used the other colors to cut the title from the Wonderland Bigz XL alphabet. Because it is steel rule, I also cut each letter out in chipboard too and attached them along the bottom of the piece
 I poked a hole through the top right corner of the Vignette tray that was large enough to thread some small fairy lights through to the front. Once all the lights were on the front of the tray, I stretched them across to the other side, then back, and I attached it in place with the Tiny Attacher.

I used some of the Mini Festive Greenery and cut it from white cardstock. Then I sprayed the white greenery with Distress Resist Spray and lighty glittered it with Clear Rock Candy Distress Glitter. 
To finish it off, I layered the white greenery and the ornaments over the lights.  Make sure to lay all the pieces onto the lights before you adhere them so you can make adjustments until it looks just right. When you are happy, then secure all the pieces. Lastly you will want to fluff the white greenery and get a tool that allows you to make sure the lights shine between all of the ornaments.
I don't know if you can see the lights shining in this picture:
That all there is to this. It's mainly just assembly, not really any technique to speak of. I hope you enjoyed looking at some close-ups and I hope I explained the steps clearly.       

Thank you for stopping by and to keep with my Twelve Days tradition, here is one of my favorite seasonal cookies my grandma used to make: Grandma's Persimmon Cookies
Tami                                                                                                           

3 comments:

Nancy said...

Totally magnificent and whimsical, indeed! A glorious assortment of lovely ornaments!

sara j said...

I came looking for 2019 projects and then kept looking until I found this! Which is GLORIOUS!!! Such color and fun and whimsy. Just a beautifully, happy, piece. Thanks for the inspiration!. I just love it! Merry Christmas (well, that's definitely the first time I have said that this year...tee hee.)

scrappergirl56 said...

Oh yes!!! I had forgotten about this fabulous, Colorful project...fun stuff, indeed!!!